News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recently required ribbonbar - help requested

Gentlemen (ladies certainly not excluded),

Can someone please help me "read" this recently acquired ribbon bar? The preussian and bavarian section are not a problem, and I have been told the last three ribbons are possibly for a Hessian award, and for the Hamburg and Lübeck hanseatic crosses.Your help in positively identifying the third ribbon from the right would be much appreciated. Any views on branch or career of the individual who orignally wore this bar would be great, and his identifictation would, of course, be most helpful.

Many thanks in advance and regards,

Sandro

Edited by GdC26

Hi Sandro,

Congrats for your new ribbon bar :jumping: Very nice. It seems that the crown and swords on Bavarian ribbon are in silver ? Can you confirm it please ?

For me the last three ribbons are hessian ribbon, Hamburg and Lübeck ribbons. I see (but I'm not the Hessian expert) fade blue on the back for the hessian ribbon.

Now it will be difficult to find the name of the owner. A prussian officer with only Bavarian medals, which rolls has been made. This officer was probably a Major and finished the war has an Oberstleutnant.

Christophe

Christophe, Sasha,

Many thanks for the info and for your kind words, both very much appreciated. :cheers:

Christophe,

I'll retrieve the bar from its display case this coming weekend to check whether the crown and swords device is indeed silver, and will let you know.

Regards,

Sandro

Edited by GdC26

Dear Sandro,

I would agree with the other gentlemen, the last three ribbons are Hesse Medal (most likely a bravery medal), Hamburg Hanseatic Cross & Lübeck Hanseatic Cross.

Congratulations on getting this one. :cheers: I was tempted to bid on it myself. It is sometimes difficult to come across ribbon bars with the Lübeck Hanseatic Cross ribbon. :Cat-Scratch:

Best wishes

Matt

Many thanks, Matt. I acted on a hunch in buying this one, and from the sound of it, did well in doing so.

Regards,

Sandro

If you mean by "did well" that it is period -Yes, I do think you did well. A real nice one.

This gent was thoroughly Prussian; he put every single Prussian/Imperial decoration before any other state's combat awards. Even the BMV4Kr with SWORDS comes later. I would have liked to see his medal bar...I'm sure it was really nice looking.

A fine one to add to your collection.

Oh, originally you asked about branch and career....Army. A mid to upper ranking officer with pre-wwi service (obviously). During the war he was attached to, mixed with or otherwise associated with some units from other states. I would guess that this bar was made near the end or a short time after the war. Copiously worn since but didn’t add to it.

Thank you Claudius. You reconstruction of our man's career makes a lot of sense, but for my education, why definitely army, and not navy, for example?

Regards,

Sandro

No problem. There are many backings found on medal bars and ribbon bars. Different colors of Silk, wool, felt, etc. When the backing is felt, it was VERY typical for the medal bar makers to use an Orange felt backing for the Army. For both the medal bars and ribbon bars -like yours.

Navy guys would use a black or dark blue backing. I don't know exactly why, but I suspect that on their dark blue uniforms they don't want ANY chance of Orange fuzz coming off on their uniforms. (I would guess that it would stick out like Cheetos crumbs.) The dark blue backing was also used for civilian or para-military uniforms for ex-soldiers.