News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I agree with Wild Card. A nice, rare combination of awards to a non-combatant. I like the "1914" bar. I wonder what it was supposed to signify (other than providing aid in 1914). Does it mean that was the only year that the recipient provided aid, or was that just the award date. If so an early awarding.

Can we see the reverse as well?

Thank you for showing it.

I like the "1914" bar. I wonder what it was supposed to signify (other than providing aid in 1914). Does it mean that was the only year that the recipient provided aid, or was that just the award date. If so an early awarding.

Can we see the reverse as well?

Thank you for showing it.

the addition of the 1914 clasp to the cross for volunteer nurses was for frontline activity , and it covers the duration of the ww1 conflict. clasp is relatively scarce, something like only 800-900 issued (if i remember correctly)

this medal was also awarded during the franco-prussian war, and it had an 1870 on the lower arm of the cross.

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

the addition of the 1914 clasp to the cross for volunteer nurses was for frontline activity , and it covers the duration of the ww1 conflict. clasp is relatively scarce, something like only 800-900 issued (if i remember correctly)

this medal was also awarded during the franco-prussian war, and it had an 1870 on the lower arm of the cross.

Thank you for the information Eric.

Thank you for the nice comments on this bar. I did not know about the 1914 clasp, thank you Eric. I have included a picture of the reverse of the medal bar. Post 1934 construction.

AHhhh...I was curious about the Hungarian Commemorative. I was wondering if it might be the version without swords. Apparently not, and perhaps with swords is appropriate for a frontline serving nurse. The HK had different criteria for w/s or w/o swords.

As cool as that Bavarian Merit Cross for Voluntary Nursing may be, what I really like on this bar is the 1914-1918 Cross of Honor by Paulmann & Crone of Lüdenscheid. I know that will seem silly to most (as common as the Cross of Honor is) but that maker has always eluded me.

Best regards,

Tom

Gentlemen,

A few points have been raised here that I would like to elaborate on. First, “this medal was also awarded during the franco-prussian war, and it had an 1870 on the lower arm of the cross”, but -

1. I am not sure about the 1870 on the lower arm of the cross

2. Whereas the 1914 cross has a crown on the upper arm, the 1870 cross does not

3. The two were awarded on different ribbons

With regard to the 1914 bar, I would assume that this differentiates WWI awards from earlier awards made after the founding of this award on 5 March 1901. An interesting aspect to this is the 1870/71 bar. It is like the better known EK Wiederholungsspange, only in this case, the spange is worn on the ribbon of the 1914

cross. Another reason for the 1914 spange?

Lastly, there is also a special crown device that goes on the ribbon of the 1914 award. Hopefully some of our resident Bavarian experts can provide an image and more information on it.

Regards,

Wild Card

Thank you to everyone who has commented on this bar. The information was very useful. I do not know to much about the 1914 clasp, I will defer to more knowledgeable people on the clasp. This is the first time I have seen it and picked up this bar because of it.

Dean

Edited by Signalcorps45