News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wound Badge Evolution

JapanX

Hi Nick

Thanks for greetings, merry christmas and happy new year also to you.

Maybe I was fooled, so correct sentence is: "This is balsa box, in which I´ve bought Sensho badge 4.1 type". Btw, my 4.1 badge is not gilded, fits to the box and there was also a strange piece of document, which is totally different from the document that was previously posted to this thread by you.

I will post more photos tommorrow, if interested.

Miro

I will post more photos tommorrow, if interested.

Miro

Are you kidding me?!

Of course! It will be great!

One possibility is that that interior of box 4th type was inserted into box 3rd type.

About document - no ideas at all.

So please, if you can, show the badge, box interior and the document.

Cheers,

Nick

Yes, maybe you´re right, in that case I have at least 3.1 box type, which is not bad at all.

Document looks like forgotten paper from supermarket, where is very possibly written - "buy two litres of milk, 1 kg of bread and two bottles of coca-cola", hehe.

Now is midnight here, I just came from town quite tired, so I will do some photos tomorrow.

Cheers

It is Sensho, as I said, but if you want to check it for yourself, here is the reverse. (sorry for closed pins, but it is clearly seen)

To the case 3.1 - can´t compare it with yours, because there is some photoshopping on yours, am I right? Anyway, now it started to be even more interesting for me, because I need:

- case for 4.1 badge

- badge for 3.1 case

Miro

Badge for the box 3.1 will cost you Miro ;)

But the good news - from time to time you could meet these unboxed rarities.

Actually there are more owners of type 3 badges, than owners of type 3 boxes. Lucky you! :lol:

To the case 3.1 - can´t compare it with yours, because there is some photoshopping on yours, am I right?

Yep, guilty! ;)

Actually I think that your box have some chances to be type 2 box, because of turquoise-like color of interior on your second photo (type 3 boxes have pure white interior). If so - it's even more rare box - base from type 2 box and cover from type 3 box! :lol:

Box for 4.1 will be easier to find I hope.

Good luck with this task!

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Yes, 4.1 box will be no prob, mainly balsa type.

I think there is no chance that this is combo of 2 box with 3 cover, because of two reasons:

a.) I surely didn´t balance the white when photographing (the background was white paper, and it looks pale blue on the pictures)

b.) my experience is that balsa box twists from age and humidity, which causes that you can´t mix the covers and bottoms even from two boxes of the same type. I tried it e.g. on boxes for Russo-Japanese campaign medal. I bought one with medal and second as a replacement case for Boxer Rebellion medal - you can´t mix the covers and bottoms of these two boxes (as well as you can´t mix the parts of ww1 medal boxes which are of same type).

Regards, Miro

I think there is no chance that this is combo of 2 box with 3 cover, because of two reasons:

a.) I surely didn´t balance the white when photographing (the background was white paper, and it looks pale blue on the pictures)

That settless it.

Nick

Thanks for all info, Nick, I always liked to hear the real story behind things.

I have one more photo of wound (association) badges, where is one piece you didn´t mention yet. (not my collection). Can you post some info about it?

Thanks.

Oval badge with white enamel?

I think we are talking about this one.

There is a whole family of these badges out there.

It is "on the occasion of ..." badges.

Association started issuing them in the 80s.

An occasion/event is typically annual meeting of town (prefecture/national) branch or Emperor visit to one of the branches or some anniversary...etc. The reason and date of issue are usually stamped in reverse.

Badges are quite uniform. Always white background, association badge, something green (some plant as symbol of life) and sometimes salutatory kanji.

They are made from white alloy.

I am aware about existence at least 4 different badges of this type, but of course there are many more of them out there somewhere.

Close relatives of these badges are commemorative sake bottles, cups, vases, lighters, tie pins, cuff links, etc... with badge association emblem on them and (very rare - mainly on vases and cups) information about commemorative event.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

• 3 weeks later...

Some wound badges were signed on reverse by their owners (same goes for the pilot badges and army/navy classification badges). However I saw only type 4 signed badges. Here is a nice example of such signed badge.

The name would be Oda, not Yamada. I'm really loving these posts on the wound badges. Thank you so much for the research and sharing.