News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wound Badge Evolution

JapanX

For high rank executives of Imperial Wounded and Disabled Soldiers Association we have this very original badge.

It seems that there were two classes of this badge.

Gold gilded badge for top level executives and silver for middle level executives.

But there is a probability that this gold/silver variation was just a consequence of different manufacturers.

In addition to general wounded soldiers association badge practically every branch of association established and issued its own badge.

The design of these badges is practically matching of general badge.

Only the central chrysanthemum is bigger and in its center prefecture emblem (usually clan crest) is imposed.

Usually these badges have individual number on reverse and additional information about issuing branch.

Hopefully next compilation will give us general idea about the design of these interesting badges.

Who’s this dude?

Yep. Sometimes you can hear this question in connection to type 4 wound badge.

Kusunoki Masashige (1294 - July 4, 1336) was a 14th century samurai and national hero who epitomized loyalty, courage, and devotion to the Emperor (this point if view was especially popular during 30s).

Wanna more? Go to http://en.wikipedia....unoki_Masashige

But before that, take a look at this portrait of our prototype hero.

Edited by JapanX

My jaw drops at viewing your collection of wound badges, as I sit here with only one in my collection.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

What a great post and the range of your collection of wound badges is fantastic.

Thanks again for this top notch post Nick.

Regards

Brian

My jaw drops at viewing your collection of wound badges, as I sit here with only one in my collection.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

What a great post and the range of your collection of wound badges is fantastic.

Thanks again for this top notch post Nick.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian

Thank you for kind words.

Of course not all badges are from mine collection ;)

That's why I want once more to express my gratitude to my colleagues and friends (in fact they are GMIC members too) for their invaluable help.

And I dare to say second little appendix is coming in the next few days.

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

• 2 weeks later...

Some wound badges were signed on reverse by their owners (same goes for the pilot badges and army/navy classification badges). However I saw only type 4 signed badges. Here is a nice example of such signed badge.