News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Madness! BMVO 1. Kl. mit Krone & Schwerter cased for Eur 2'810.-!

Well well, I wish one day such piece ends up in my collection. As regards the price...the most current sources state that there were some 180 awards made?I think not more than half of them exist these days.

...and yes, the box itself might be worth some 500-800 EUR.

It wasn't a bargain, but a pretty usual price for such a cross, especially as it's cased.

Does anyone wonder why they are offered for a 1/10 of that price often, and don't even sell? I don't. A real one is insanely rare.

Claudio, nice group - but the crown does really change much. 1st classes are nice and rare... but available to the market. Crowned ones are not.

Beamte ribbons ("Band für kriegsverdienst") are not unusual on the higher grades, and especially the 1st class with crown was awarded on Beamte ribbon only(?).

yeah- it is a perfect group-esp. with the tags.

What is a railways-vorsteher? Stationmaster?

Actually, they are kind of rare-like the man said, how many have really survived? Even at a 60% survival rate, there aren't many..esp. as all of us want at least one in our collections.

Gem. Walter Nickel MVK für Kriegsverdienste (sog. Beamtenband):

MVK 1. Klasse mit Krone und Schwertern: 64

MVK 1. Klasse mit Krone: 24

MVK 1. Klasse mit Schwertern: 1’191

MVK 1. Klasse: 365

MVK 2. Klasse mit Krone und Schwertern: 1’883

MVK 2. Klasse mit Krone: 468

MVK 2. Klasse mit Schwertern: 1’652

MVK 2. Klasse: 173

MVK 3. Klasse mit Krone und Schwertern: 149

MVK 3. Klasse mit Krone: 71

MVK 3. Klasse mit Schwertern: 907

MVK 3. Klasse: 24

It does seem counter-intuitive.

But consider: the 3. Klasse mit Krone und Schwertern was awarded to Unteroffizieren ohne Portepee, and later in the war, sometimes as a second award to Mannschaften who already had the 3. Klasse mit Schwertern. There were tens thousands of these (maybe hundreds of thousands?), so some 70,000+ awards is not too surprising.

The 3. Klasse mit Krone und Schwertern am Bande für Kriegsverdienst was awarded to whom? Feld-Postillon, Magazinleiter? Who else? How many of those were there?

A nice rare bare you have.

Not many- the numbers seem to be rather solid. Bavarian medals have extensive bibliographies and research going back many, many decades. The Bavarian medal museum sponsored such research and it seems rather complete.

The Bavarian personnel records for 1914-18 are all on-line at ancestry now and the awards gazettes/lists are still in the archives. Someone can go back and recheck them as a long-term project nowadays with very little effort.

My "gut" is that the numbers are probably definitive, but if they aren't maybe a 15-20% at the most?

Like you said Dave, how many of these Beamten were there?

By the way Claudio- wonderful bar!