News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

light as a Feather

Hi Tom, I think someone got into a "stash" of these recently. Although the others I have seen had smaller rings. All seem to be one-piece, non-magnetic. I initially was unsure as to age, but cannot argue them into the "new" category. The quality has just been too good.

It could also be a "zinc" core......

Micha

Hi Tom, I think someone got into a "stash" of these recently. Although the others I have seen had smaller rings. All seem to be one-piece, non-magnetic. I initially was unsure as to age, but cannot argue them into the "new" category. The quality has just been too good.

Nope, a magnet sticks to the core like glue, but not the frame. Here are a couple more I've had for quite a while.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The rusty one has a blued core.

Tom,

Just about every 2 piece core EK2 I have seen has that VERY pronounced crown like yours. This feature is much easier to stamp out than it is to cast and is, aside from the lightness, another way to tell them apart from the regular cast iron cored piece. Plus this feature can be picked out in a photo if you are buying online.

Dan Murphy

Interesting. Very interesting. Have you compared it to the one somebody split apart? (I'm sorry, I do not remember what forum it was on)

Not yet. I can't remember where it was either.

There are some superb 1914 EK2 repros made in Spain that are @15-20 years old. They came out before the infamous "666" EK2s, but were sold by the same source.

There are also similar one piece "shiny" non-magnetic EK2s made in the late 1950s-1960s for the collector's market and as legitimate "1957" variety EKs. Jamie Cross had some of these @ 10 years ago and indeed, sold me a Bavarian Gefrieters' bar with one on it. They are considered rare.

The difference between the 2 types is the quality of metal-and to some degree the workmanship. The Spanish ones have a bendable rim and the crown is different.

Given there were @ 7 MILLION 1914 EK2s legitimately made/awarded (@5 million awarded-many replacements) I am not enamored with the one-piece variety. I personally do not consider them legitimate as there were very few WW1 vets ordering medal bars in the 1960s-1970s, but lots and lots of collectors.

As an aside-the second EK2 I bought was one of these "1957" types; I bought it in London in 1974 for 50p and even then fakery was rampant.

Hallo Gentlemen, just signed up today to your forum's.

And as I have 30 WW1 (ish) EK IIs single as well as on bars thought I would share this with you.

Attached poor photos show an EK II (shiny one piece), which weighs 21 gm, measures 51mm left to right & top to bottom, ribbon ring is 14mm wide*, the detail of the inner area seems to sit a little higher than what is seen on the original cross.

Apart from the "Silver" never losing the shine, the black finish has a very glossy look, the only "flaws" being what looks like a hair-line crack on the original mold which starts from about 5mm to the right of the Ose retaing hoop and carries on down to the right-hand side of the crown, and seems to continue from the tip of the acorn through the 3 in 1813 and on to the lip of the silver rim. Also the paint job dosen't carry on to exactly the beaded silver rimm on the rear upper arm and the right middle arm upper.

* as compared with 15mm of the 3 Piece marked WILM?

Maybe its a Jeweler's made replacement? or just a fake / copy or a copy of a fake, anythought's would be welcome.