News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schwarzburg : Honor cross 4th class cross, with oakleaf 1914-15

The cipher "GFC" is for Schwarzburg-Sondershausen. Unfortunately, that is the only roll that is missing. There are rolls for all the swords awards, but for the Eichenbruch, only the Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt rolls are intact. I can make a guess, though.

Although Schwarzburg-Sondershausen was smaller than Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, and although the same man, Fürst Günther Victor, reigned over both principalities during the war, there were more awards from Sondershausen than from Rudolstadt. On average, there were about twice as many. For example, for the 2nd Class with Swords it was 58 to 23 (2.5 to 1), for the 3rd Class with Swords it was 674 to 369 (1.8 to 1), and for the 4th Class with Swords it was 87 to 33 (2.6.1).

There were 40 awards of the 4th Class with the Eichenbruch from Rudolstadt. Based on the ratios above, I would say there were about 70 to 100 awards from Sondershausen of your award.

So, while I can't say with certainty, I can say you have a rare and beautiful award.

Best regards,

Dave

Hi JB,

Very nice cross you have there, and with its box ! Congrats. I have seen only one medal like that on medal bar years ago. Thanks to Dave for sharing infos too

Christophe

Hi !

The box is exactly the same as yours :

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/24698-quiz/page__p__233906__hl__schwarzburg#entry233906

se3x3.jpg

se3x4.jpg

:love:

• 1 year later...

The cipher "GFC" is for Schwarzburg-Sondershausen. Unfortunately, that is the only roll that is missing. There are rolls for all the swords awards, but for the Eichenbruch, only the Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt rolls are intact. I can make a guess, though.

There were 40 awards of the 4th Class with the Eichenbruch from Rudolstadt. Based on the ratios above, I would say there were about 70 to 100 awards from Sondershausen of your award.

A small update:

I found the missing rolls the last time I was in Rudolstadt. I am now up to 48 awards from Rudolstadt.

For Sondershausen, there were 59 awards. Of these, one was returned for a 4th Class with Swords, 3 for a 3rd Class with Eichenbruch, and three for a 3rd Class.

Regards,

Dave