News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What is the last ribbon on this ribbon bar photo ?

Hi everybody,

Here is a close up of the ribbon bar from a photo. I can't put a name on the penultimate ribbon. thanks for your help. I can only say is this ribbon is a foreigner ribbon.

Here is the ribbon

- knight cross of St Heny

- knight cross 1st class with X of Merit Order

- knight cross 1st class with X of Albert Order

- iron cross 2nd class

- Cross 4th class Red Eagle Order

- Long service medal for 25 years

- knight cross of Danebrog of Denmark

- ???

Christophe

Hi everybody,

Here is a close up of the ribbon bar from a photo. I can't put a name on the penultimate ribbon. thanks for your help. I can only say is this ribbon is a foreigner ribbon.

Here is the ribbon

- knight cross of St Heny

- knight cross 1st class with X of Merit Order

- knight cross 1st class with X of Albert Order

- iron cross 2nd class

- Cross 4th class Red Eagle Order

- Long service medal for 25 years

- knight cross of Danebrog of Denmark

- ???

Christophe

Penultimate means next-to-last, not last. ;)

I assume you have reason to believe this Saxon had the Dannebrog? If so, I think it is the last ribbon, not the penultimate one. The last ribbon appears to have dark narrow edge stripes, which fits the Dannebrog. The penultimate ribbon has narrow white (or other light colored) edge stripes, which the Dannebrog did not have. It could be the Montenegrin Order of Danilo or some other decoration with a similar pattern.

Thanks Dave,

first to correct me and second for the information. Here is the photo of the owner of the ribbon bar. His name is Oberst (and later Generalmajor) Otto Samuel Georg Ludwig Nieper.

He received the knight cross of Danebrog on 2 August 1906.

When I see the ribbon bar my first tought about the last ribbon is for the Bulgarian Military Order for Bravery 4 cl. 2nd degree. But I can't clearly see the stripes.

Christophe

I think that after the Iron Cross comes the hanseatic cross of Hamburg.....

....and after the saxon DA comes the red eagle order and the danish order. Because after "Roth" Nieper didn´t receive any more peace time decorations....

Furthermore it is more possible (in my opinion!) that the hanseatic cross of Hamburg is not mentioned in any sources instead of any peace time awards (like a swedish or montenegrin Order!).

Best wishes

Karsten

Hi Karsten,

I think you are right. I try to compare some photo I had with HH and RAO, it should be the same. But I guess that the ribbon for RAO, the orange stripes should be larger than here. So it explains why I am confuse and why I can't read correctly this ribbon bar. But you are probably right, thanks my friend.

Christophe