News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal bar with two Finnish medals - Combination possible?

Hello,

another Finnish medal which should be analysed by an expert is the following:

Iron Cross

Hindenburg

Silesia Eagle

Police / Treue Dienste in der Polizei 25 years

Liberty medal bronce 1918 Finland

Liberty medal silver 1918 Finland.

Is it possible that someone got 2 Finnish Liberty medals...I think either you get bronce one or silver one?

Am I right

Detlef

Hello,

another Finnish medal which should be analysed by an expert is the following:

Iron Cross

Hindenburg

Silesia Eagle

Police / Treue Dienste in der Polizei 25 years

Liberty medal bronce 1918 Finland

Liberty medal silver 1918 Finland.

Is it possible that someone got 2 Finnish Liberty medals...I think either you get bronce one or silver one?

Am I right

Detlef

These are indeed 1st class (silver one) and 2nd class (bronze one) Medals of Liberty (obverse indeed bears inscriptions URHEUDESTA / FÖR TAPPERHET - "for bravery" in Swedish and Finnish. As far as I remember all medals of 1918 vintage were made in Sweden by Sporrong (S&co).

One person could be awarded with both classes.

15433 1st class 1918 medals were issued

13212 2nd class 1918 medals were issued

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Basically, you could not have both classes.

:whistle:

http://www.finnmedals.net/epages/Kaupat.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Finnmedals/Products/00308

http://www.finnmedals.net/epages/Kaupat.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Finnmedals/Products/057201206

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finland-WWII-1939-40-Rare-Foreigners-Winter-War-Medal-2-Liberty-Medals-/190681811729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c65858b11#ht_534wt_689

;)

@ JapanX the medalbars in Your links are bars from WW 2 and not from WW1 also they were awarded to finnish people and not to german once

@ AOK4 I agree with You Jan it is missing the Finnish Memorial Medal and this should be on this bar. I post one from my collection.

KR Andreas

@ JapanX the medalbars in Your links are bars from WW 2 and not from WW1 also they were awarded to finnish people and not to german once

I know it Andreas ;)

Simply wanted to show that one man could be awarded with both (1st and 2nd) classes.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

... especially since the bar doesn't have the Finnish Memorial Medal...

Indeed this medal often could be found together with Liberty medal or Libery Cross in german bars.

Here comes another (additional to KR Andreas) examples.

... and back to the main question

"Is it possible that someone got 2 Finnish Liberty medals?"

which in our case ;) should be slightly reformulated

"Is it possible that german serviceman got 2 Finnish Liberty medals?"

Is it indeed absolutely impossible?

Simply want to know what you are thinking about this possibility lads ;)

As for empirical evidence (i.e. german bars that we saw on the market and in private collections) - I agree - usually we observe only one Liberty medal (1st or 2nd class).

Regards,

Nick

Interesting Medal bar Detlef, and I agree with Nick, it´s totally possible that a German soldier got two Finnish Bravery medals in 1918

not often but it happened, I can´t say anything about the medal bar if its fake or not but the combo is possible.

The lack of the 1918 Memorial medal is not proof of a fake , because I seen a lot of German medal and ribbon bars lacking this medal. I think many German soldiers that where entitled to one never got it.

Christer

• 4 weeks later...