News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

4 hours ago, Great Dane said:

The groom was awarded the Danish Order of Dannebrog Grand Cross - probably due to the wedding and probably what he is wearing in the photo.

His father, Otto Friedrich, was not awarded any Danish orders.

Thanks! Nothing for the father? Too bad, that would have fit greatly! The couple met for the first time in Berlin during the 1936 Summer Olympics. Following their first meeting, Luitpold and Alexandrine Louise spent nearly every day together. Before her departure from Berlin, Luitpold proposed marriage and Alexandrine Louise accepted. They would have three children, although Otto Luitpold (1942–1943), whom the father never saw, died young. Dr. jur. Luitpold Graf zu Castell-Castell, Oberleutnant (1st Lieutenant) of the Wehrmacht, was severely wounded as a flight passenger when the Ju 52 (CE + AS; Werknummer: 5382) he was on, during a courier flight from Belgrade to Athens, crashed due to ice on the wings on 28 October 1941. He died on 6 November 1941 in the Kriegslazarett 1/602 in Bankya near Sofia. Alexandrine never married again, Luitpold was her first and only love.

Edited by Deutschritter

Sad story for the young man.

His father may have been awarded the grand cross of the Bavarian St Michael order. I think he war awarded a few higher grade orders orders cross.

I suppose is could also be the Österreich Franz Josefsorden, Komturkreuz mit der Stern

Edited by ccj

• Dave Danner changed the title to Otto Graf zu Castell-Castell