News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello to all,

I bought this Bavarian officer's medal bar at the MAX show this past weekend. Paul Chepurko was able to identify this medal bar as belonging to Major Friedrich Seuter. I believe it was the BZ3b that made the identification possible. Hope everyone likes it. I was pleased to be able to add this wonderful medal bar to my collection.

Best regards,

Tom

Tom,

The officer to whom this bar probably belonged was char. Major Friedrich Sauter (not Seuter). He was assigned to the "Bekleidungsamt d. I. AK" at the beginning of the war. Nevertheless, a very nice bar.

Andy

Hello to all,

I bought this Bavarian officer's medal bar at the MAX show this past weekend. Paul Chepurko was able to identify this medal bar as belonging to Major Friedrich Seuter. I believe it was the BZ3b that made the identification possible. Hope everyone likes it. I was pleased to be able to add this wonderful medal bar to my collection.

Best regards,

Tom

Great bar. Well constructed. A great example of a EK2 on combatant ribbon and HK non-combatant AND Ludwig together. You mentioned that the OZL helped with the identification. Is that because it was a pre-war award?

Any details about his pre-war and wartime service?

Again great bar.

Friedrich Sauter was born on 8 May 1868 in Wertingen in Schwaben. He entered the Bavarian Army on 22 June 1889 as a Three-Year Volunteer in the 8th Infantry Regiment.

01.11.1889 Unteroffizier

06.03.1890 Portepeefähnrich

01.03.1891 Second-Lieutenant

27.09.1899 Oberleutnant

27.10.1906 Hauptmann

25.08.1913 char. Major

02.02.1916 Patent as Major (25.08.13 23a)

18.08.1918 char. Oberstleutnant

He served in the 8.IR from 1889 to 1906, then in the 6.IR until 1912, and then became a member of the Bekleidungsamt I.Armeekorps. On mobilization, he became Technische Leiter of the Kriegsbekleidungamt I.AK. He retired on 13 August 1919.

His peacetime Order of the Zähringen Lion was no doubt due to his service in 8.IR, whose Inhaber was the Grand Duke of Baden. Also, according to the 1897 Militär-Handbuch des Königreichs Bayern, every active officer in 8.IR qualified the Centenary Medal, though I am not sure why.

The Bavarian KLK was awarded in 1916. The EK2 came on 7.8.16.

Regards,

Dave

Hello guys,

Thanks to all for the comments. I apologize as I did get the name spelling wrong. It is Major Friedrich Sauter. It looked like an 'e' on the handwritten tag that was attached to the medal bar. Paul C was most kind to send me a cd with additional info on Major Sauter that I just received today. (Thanks a whole bunch, Paul!)

Here is a page of his service record:

Also, according to the 1897 Militär-Handbuch des Königreichs Bayern, every active officer in 8.IR qualified the Centenary Medal, though I am not sure why.

Must be their billeting in the Reichslande Elsaß-Lothringen... I think all there got it, not only the Prussian troops.

Must be their billeting in the Reichslande Elsaß-Lothringen... I think all there got it, not only the Prussian troops.

I think you are right. I even wrote something about that over a year ago, but my memory must have failed me. http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/15262-saxon-st-henry-baden-war-effort-and-albert-4-medal-bar/page__hl__+centenary%20+medal#entry457967