News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CIVIL WAR MOH BACK IN NORTH AMERICA

sam steele

Hello Gents,

Just arrived from overseas is this fine MOH presented to Lt. Samuel Horne for gallantry in 1864.

Wounded in three seperate actions. Lived long enough to receive the second MOH of 1904. Died in 1928.

Comes with the case, his neck ribbon for the 1904 award, and a 143 page Medal of Honor file from the National Archives in Washington.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks, Gents.

The MOH has come from Australia, possibly from a descendant of the recipient.

Canadians can own the MOH, and from what I can gather, I can bring it into the U.S., but naturally must notify your Customs when I enter. Unless I bequeath or give this as a gift, an American citizen at this time, may not acquire it. As for the 1904 MOH neck ribbon which accompanies the MOH package, it is also illegal for a U.S. citizen to acquire.

Still, it's nice to be able to share this information with those who are interested, and proud of their military heritage.

Cheers,

Bill

To some, it's perhaps a rather drastic reaction to those who would attempt to prostitute the Medal of Honor. Unfortunately, it has widespread repercussions in the collecting world. Sadly, a large number of Americans wouldn't know a MOH if they saw one, and certainly a portion of the minority who do, wouldn't be able to tell a modern one from one issued in the 19th century.

Our version of your Medal of Honor is the Victoria Cross. We have no living Canadian recipients of the award. World-wide, there are fewer living recipients of the Victoria Cross than your MOH.

Honor them all, I say.........................

Cheers,

Bill

• 1 month later...

... Just arrived from overseas is this fine MOH presented to Lt. Samuel Horne for gallantry in 1864.

Wounded in three seperate actions. Lived long enough to receive the second MOH of 1904. Died in 1928.

Comes with the case, his neck ribbon for the 1904 award, and a 143 page Medal of Honor file from the National Archives in Washington.

Cheers,

Bill

Thank you, Bill !

Congratulations, great medal !

Can you post the files from National Archives ?

Good golly................I have the files over at a friend's place while he pores through them. Most are the long sheet variety, not letter-size. When I get them back, I'll see to scan a few of the pages from his MOH file.

Now, how do you do attachments on this forum.................?

Cheers,

Bill

• 1 year later...

Wonderful acquisition. It is just so sad that in "the land of the free" you are not able to own such a medal, which obviously no one is going to pretend they received but rather will be lovingly cared for and researched, which is probably why many US collectors get hooked on British or German medals.

Paul