This Gentleman had EK1, 2, DKiG and a close cbt clasp... and the seller assumed the Inf Assault doc was missing.

It was not, as confirmed by a son of the man.

The division he was in was a sicherungs division. Plenty of close combat in Russia, but never any assaults, or not in the period he was there....

This Gentleman had EK1, 2, DKiG and a close cbt clasp... and the seller assumed the Inf Assault doc was missing.

It was not, as confirmed by a son of the man.

The division he was in was a sicherungs division. Plenty of close combat in Russia, but never any assaults, or not in the period he was there....

Just to show how the internet changes things... when I owned this group, there was nothing, nothing, nothing to be found about him or the unit.... today I found this

Am 13. Januar 1943 kam es zu schweren russischen Angriffen ostwärts von Mga bei den Sinjawinohöhen. Das I. Bataillon wurde unter Hauptmann Faforke dorthin verlegt. In schweren, 14tägigen Kämpfen blutete das Bataillon vollkommen aus, die Reste wurden bei der Rückkehr des Bataillons zum Regiment auf die anderen beiden Bataillone verteilt.

So already probably many close combat days with no assaults...

Hello Chris

A little trivia on the CCC

A bronze bar was awarded for 15 days of "Close combat" but this could be reduced to 10 days if wounded.

A silver bar was awarded for 30 days but this could be reduced to 20 if wounded

A gold bar was awarded for 50 days but could be reduced to 40 days if wounded

Also on the eastern front:
5 combat days being represented by 8 months service;
10 days days being represented by 12 months service, and;
15 days being represented by 15 months service.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Kevin,

Are these seperated docs or do you have the rest of the paperwork regarding the individuals?

Such a shame if these things have been seperated from other surviving documentation or are you just complying to the thread title?

cheers

jock :)

I think groupings each deserve their own thread so the owner can present it properly and provide all the information they have (or seek) rather than one single thread which will eventually become clogged up. It has been a while since I presented a grouping so will do so shortly.

• 1 year later...