News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

USA ww1 commemorative medal

j-sk

Hello Gentlemen,

Does anyone know which US State or city issued this WW1 commemorative medal (and its price) ?

Is it possible to get further information from the Internet (i.e.: is there a specific site dedicated to this category of medals) ?

Thank you in advance.

Jean-Sam.

The Worcestershire Regiment site has a few minor errors, none of which apply to this medal.

The second class medal is bronze, with rosette (the miniature is in silver with rosette). I've always assumed that the French miniature manufacturer was simply used to three-grade medals (bronze, silver and gold) and never got decent instructions.

British troops apparently received more than 100 awards. I can document only about 90 awards to Americans. I've never seen any numbers from the other allies to back up Purves' "100 to each allied nation" claim. Maybe Lambert has some information about Brazilian recipients.

• 9 years later...
    On 20/07/2013 at 20:17, JBFloyd said:

This is the Medal of Solidarity, third class, of Panama. Apparently only 100 were awarded to each of the WWI allies.

These are quite rare. The last one I sold (several years ago) went for US$550.

Hi Jeff,

not sure if you know the answer to this or not, bit I have just bought one in bronze and was intrigued.

I have also read in several places that Panama issued 100 to each of the WWI allied countries, and in gold, silver and bronze varieties. What is not clear to me is whether 1/ 100 medals were issued in total to each country (as a mix of gold, silver, bronze of maybe variable proportions) or 2/ whether there were 100 of each metal (100 gold, 100 silver, 100 bronze) or 3/ were there 100 bronze and maybe fewer silver and then 1 or 2 gold per country. Clearly option 2 seems very unlikely - why have 100 gold per country, but any thoughts on this?

thanks

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
    On 18/09/2022 at 02:40, Bill Brouillard Jr. said:

I believe that the Gold version was awarded to General Officers, Holders of the Medal of Honor, and The Unknown Soldier.

The one in the photo may be a French period copy due to the large ball suspension.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I have tried to find as many photos on the web as I can find of the bronze versions and they all seem to have the same size ball suspension. It would be interesting to know if anyone out there has some tell-tale signs / measurements they use to distinguish a real medal from a later copy.

The other link I found was this one, from a UK regimental museum site Panama Decorations and Awards - Worcestershire Regiment as it details the award of the Panama medal to an actual, named British soldier. In this case, despite being a Victoria Cross holder (the highest gallantry medal in the British Empire) he was awarded a bronze medal because of his rank.

best wishes

Rob

• 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 13/03/2023 at 10:00, Herman said:

A picture of the medal group of US Major General Andre W. Brewster including the Panamese Solidarity Medal.

Regards

Herman 

IMG_6831.JPG

That's an excellent group. Good to see the Panama Medal of Solidarity in a group rather than being loose.

Rob

• 9 months later...

I found this medalgroup of Brigadier J.S. Nicholson, British Army online. It contains a Panamese Medal of Solidarity.

regards

Herman

IMG_0005.jpeg

• 1 month later...
    On 13/03/2023 at 05:00, Herman said:

A picture of the medal group of US Major General Andre W. Brewster including the Panamese Solidarity Medal.

Regards

Herman 

IMG_6831.JPG

Nice pic Herman - I think it is my pic - It’s always proper to give credit to the original poster when you use a photo.

Bill

On 09/02/2024 at 03:15, Bill Brouillard Jr. said:

Nice pic Herman - I think it is my pic - It’s always proper to give credit to the original poster when you use a photo.

Bill

Indeed. You are right. I apologize. It seems you gave the credits to yourself now. 👍

regards

Herman