News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear Rick and research gnomes...

Any chance to identify this one? The combination might be unique... with the Anhalt Friedrich-Cross which makes the circle of potential wearer of this bar possible to find (cross my fingers).

• Preussen, Eisernes Kreuz 1914, 2. Klasse (OEK 1909), E/S
    • Preußen, Preußen, Rotes Kreuz Medaille 3. Klasse (OEK 1872), Br
    • Sachsen-Königreich, Albrechtsorden Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse mit Schwertern (OEK 2206), Hersteller R (Punze im unteren Arm) für Roesner, Sv
    • Württemberg, Friedrichs-Orden, Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse (OEK 298?), Sv
    • Anhalt-Gesamtstaat, Friedrich-Kreuz, 1914-18 am Kämpferband (OEK 81)
    • Hamburg, Hanseatenkreuz (OEK 688)
    • Deutsches Reich 1933-45, Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer (OEK 3803/1)

I don't think that he must have been necessarly a doctor (see Pr RKM3), but the fact that he was not a professional career officer and long service awards (active career officer or reserve), doesn't make certainly the search easier.

Thanks in advance for your most appreciated comments...

ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Guest Rick Research

TODAY... no. But since Dave is returning in triumph with the Anhalt Friedrich Cross rolls... I'd say that will triangulate nicely with the otherwise hopeless SA3aX/WF3aX pair.

The best I can find is a SA Dr. Ad. Pellnitz of FR36. He had the Sa3ax and Wf3aX. There were 5 other suspects but they all were reserve officers and mostly would have had a LD2 or LD1.

Edited by Paul C

Guest Rick Research

Yaaay, Paul!!! :cheers:

Dr.med. Adolf Pellnitz is a PERFECT Prime Suspect--

1) NO LONG SERVICE:

Assistenzarzt 15.06.07 D (first assignment Feldart Rgt 39)

Oberarzt 27.01.09 R in 1913 on staff of III. Armeekorps, Berlin at Corps HQ Sanitätsamt

Stabsarzt 01.10.13 T and transferred effective that date as battalion doctor to II./ Fusilier Regiment 36 (brigaded with Anhalt Inf Rgt 93)

charakterisiert Oberstabsarzt aD

2) NO PRE-WAR AWARDS:

That Red Cross Medal 3rd Class is still round and bronze, but looks like a plated 1914/15 one

WF3aX 15.12.16 on staff of Armeearzt 4. Armee

SA3aX 23.07.17 the same

3) PROXIMITY TO ANHALT:

In FR 36 when the war started

Full personal details should be in the 1910 register of graduates of the Kaiser Wilhelm military medical training school.

Having a specific name to hunt for--particularly when it should crop up EARLY will confirm/exclude an AK for him BUT, alas, they ALL still have to be transcribed to make sure there wasn't anybody else.

My bet's with Paul on Pellnitz. Everything fits nicely.

This is one of those cases where the initial Prime Suspect may come up "quickly," but it still requires an endless tedious slog to exclude anybody else.

Guys... you are really fantastic... :jumping::rock on::beer: I never believed that this bar would be possible to identify....

I really hope that Dave can come up for other interesting details...

Thanks again for your patience and dedication!

PS at Paul: hope to meet you in Gunzenhausen soon!

Guest Rick Research

Very very intermitently. Mostly 2nd Classes, if at all.

Here is Dr. Pellnitz's entry (Nr. 978) from the 1914 "Vollständige Dienstaltersliste der aktiven Sanitätsoffiziere...."

Edited by Rick Research

Wow... incredible... where you get all this data?! :beer: Thanks to you both!

My brother has also a nice cute nice tuxedo bar for a Anhalt citizen who was very likely a "Sanitäter" in WW1, maybe not even at the front, but in some hospital (Feldlazarett in Anhalt?):

• Anhalt-Gesamtstaat, Friedrich-Kreuz, 1914-18 am Nichtkämpferband (OEK 81)
    • Preußen, Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe, 1917-24 (OEK 1966)
    • Anhalt, Hausorden Albrecht des Bären, Ritterzeichen 2. Klasse (OEK 14)
    • Preußen, Rote Kreuz Medaille, 3. Klasse, 1898-1917 (OEK 1872)

the FA Cross 2nd on the rare non-combattant ribbon. The combo is maybe not unique, but I think not many got this the FA Cross 2nd class on that very ribbon (700-800, according to Scharfenberg's book "Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen der Anhaltischen Staaten, ISBN 3-932543-56-4, PHV Verlag Michael Altengruber).

Maybe Dave will be able to give us more precise data and numbers on that... that would be quite revealing! ;)

Thanks again!!!

Edited by Claudio

I just wanted to stop a beautiful illustrated page of the book I mentioned before... you can see the last bar? It's also from very likely a doctor of some tipe, very likely he has never seen the front line.

@ Glenn: thanks for your additional information! :)

I guess I am not as rusty as I thought.

Dave, great job with the Anhalt Cross, would you post one page of the award rolls? I would love to see what they look like. Also where and how did you get it?

Claudio, No Gunzenhausen for me. As we say in America, I am too damn broke.

Wow... incredible... where you get all this data?! :beer: Thanks to you both!

My brother has also a nice cute nice tuxedo bar for a Anhalt citizen who was very likely a "Sanitäter" in WW1, maybe not even at the front, but in some hospital (Feldlazarett in Anhalt?):

• Anhalt-Gesamtstaat, Friedrich-Kreuz, 1914-18 am Nichtkämpferband (OEK 81)
    • Preußen, Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe, 1917-24 (OEK 1966)
    • Anhalt, Hausorden Albrecht des Bären, Ritterzeichen 2. Klasse (OEK 14)
    • Preußen, Rote Kreuz Medaille, 3. Klasse, 1898-1917 (OEK 1872)

the FA Cross 2nd on the rare non-combattant ribbon. The combo is maybe not unique, but I think not many got this the FA Cross 2nd class on that very ribbon (700-800, according to Scharfenberg's book "Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen der Anhaltischen Staaten, ISBN 3-932543-56-4, PHV Verlag Michael Altengruber).

Maybe Dave will be able to give us more precise data and numbers on that... that would be quite revealing! ;)

Thanks again!!!

There were 1172 awards of the Friedrichkreuz am grün-weißen Bande (Anhalt did not use the terms Kämpferband and Nichtkämpferband; it was always am grün-roten Bande or am grün-weißen Bande). The final number is actually 1156, as 16 awards on the green-white ribbon were stricken and replaced with the green-red version. This often happened with personnel who got the noncombatant version while on the homefront, but then were put in for the combatant version when they went to the front. Or because the criteria were changed in 1917, so that some military service in the Heimat would now qualify for the red-green ribbon.

For example, Dr. Paul Beckmann, Stabsarzt d.R. and Chefarzt of the Reserve-Lazarett Alexisbad, received the Friedrichkreuz am grün-weißen Bande in early 1915 and then received the grün-rotes Band on 26.3.17 while in the same position. Offizier-Stellvertreter Bernhard Heine, a lawyer in Dessau, received the Friedrichkreuz am grün-weißen Bande in 1915 while with the I. Ersatz-Bataillon of IR 93, and the grün-rotes Band in 1917 while with Landsturm-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 33.

Claudio,

I should add that not only do I have the rolls for the Friedrichkreuz, but I also have the rolls for the Red Cross Medal to Anhaltiners, so eventually your brother's bar and the one in the picture may be identifiable. Unfortunately, no Albert the Bear rolls after 1875 appear to have survived World War II.

I guess I am not as rusty as I thought.

Dave, great job with the Anhalt Cross, would you post one page of the award rolls? I would love to see what they look like. Also where and how did you get it?

Claudio, No Gunzenhausen for me. As we say in America, I am too damn broke.

Here is the page with Dr. Pellnitz. As you can see, no dates, only a reference to the volume and page in the awards files where his recommendation may be found. Unfortunately, 33 of 84 of these volumes are missing. Also, they don't always give the date the award was actually made either.

Guest Rick Research

Very legibly written too, which will make thousands and thousands and thousands of entries easier to read, if no less time consuming en route to those mythical Magic Instant Answers.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the point of being coy is, with a book as splendidly produced as that seems to be. A "reference" book that does NOT identify medal bar owners? :banger:

For those of you with good memories, "a Generalleutnant"'s minis already appeared here:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/58995-stuck-at-generalmajor-for-17-years-a-minis-chain/?hl=stuckrad

Prseumably somebody knew who "a Luftwaffe Oberst" was--since it's hardly secret with source materials. Hans von Schlieben of Inf Rgt 93. Perhaps not enough space to get into HIS bizarre career ( born 1875, with a weird RAO4X for WW1--wounded 1914 but front line to 1916-- retired in July 1918 with only a year's time as Major. In 1939 he was Betriebsleiter of Futtermittelfabrik (your guess is as good as mine) Jubra G.m.b.H. in Halberstadt... so he got All Dressed Up zur Verfügung WW2, replacing his lifetime XXV for his war's duration WLDAs--weird, since he had ZERO air force background!)

That makes me wonder whether "a doctor" is also known or... just a guess.

Not how I'd write a book!

Maybe we Research Gnomes should just "identify" groups as to "an Oberstabsarzt" or "a Major" and leave it at that! :catjava:

Prseumably somebody knew who "a Luftwaffe Oberst" was--since it's hardly secret with source materials. Hans von Schlieben of Inf Rgt 93. Perhaps not enough space to get into HIS bizarre career ( born 1875, with a weird RAO4X for WW1--wounded 1914 but front line to 1916-- retired in July 1918 with only a year's time as Major. In 1939 he was Betriebsleiter of Futtermittelfabrik (your guess is as good as mine) Jubra G.m.b.H. in Halberstadt... so he got All Dressed Up zur Verfügung WW2, replacing his lifetime XXV for his war's duration WLDAs--weird, since he had ZERO air force background!)

Zero air force background- most strange but an interesting parts of his story.

I believe v. Schlieben was also a holder of the Johanniter Order (Erhenritter).

Best wishes

Matt