News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian official, pre-1900 - identifiable? (solved: Telegraphen-Direktor Christoph Zappe)

Almost forgot about that, sorry Antti...

I provided this nice old portrait of a well-decorated Prussian official(?) from my collection for a work on Luxemburg awards, when the author had the idea we could and should identify the depicted.

There is literally nothing that gives a clue, besides the picture was taken in Cassel/Kassel (then Prussia), and seems to be roughly from the 1870s or 1880s.

Combination of awards is probably unique... but where to look for such a guy? I'm not having any sources that might spit him out... too old for DOA.

I yet contacted Mr. Efler as our man is wearing an award from Waldeck... but without knowing what uniform he wears, that doesn't help.

Any ideas, Gentlemen?

post-1172-0-56112900-1376419759.jpg

post-1172-0-80936800-1376419780.jpg

Edited by saschaw

Some detail, and explanation to help those who don't recognize everything:

Six place medal bar, with Prussian Red Eagle order 4th class (pre-1885 type), Prussian 1866 cross for non-combatants, officers cross of Luxemburg order of the oak crown, Prussian Hohenzollersche Denkmünze 1848/49 from 1852, Waldeck merit cross and the Baden 1849 "Fratricide" medal. Additional awards in the button holes are a Prussian Royal Crown order, 3rd class with jubilee button "50" and a knights cross 1st or 2nd class of the Ernestine House order.

My first thought was the Prussian "KO3" might be a good start, but with more than 1,000 awarded in total, according to Ludvigsen statistics.... nothing to start with!

post-1172-0-24351600-1376420111.jpg

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

It's a particularly ugly and embarassingly homemade medal bar for a 50+ year Mann hinter Blätter.

It would take a Hof und Staats Handbuch but when? 1867? 1894? Aaaaaghhhhhh.

• 4 weeks later...

Sascha, Rick,

This guy was a bit troublesome! Notwithstanding, that I did not recognise the "Stickerei" on this official's collar, the indeterminate time frame left quite a number of years to choose from. Daniel and I chatted about what appear to be lightening bolts on the collar and we surmised that he could possibly be an early Telegraph official. The next problem was that no one really fitted the bill in the Prussian Court and State Handbooks that I have. However, this morning, I was in the Berlin State Library and was able to check some of the missing years ........and in the smaller 1885/86 edition, there he was. The listing of an ME2 is in error as earlier additions do not show it. I have yet to determine a first name.

Herr Telegraphendirektor Zappe retired just after this entry as he does not appear in the "full" 1886 edition and I believe he died in 1893.

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Months of work and lots of books. EH3b (Coburg) 08.08.66 as Telegraphenbüro Vorstand Gotha (hence the 1866-- Gotha imperilled until battle of Langensalza). RAO4 on 18.01.70. So, photo dates 1885.

In the 1875 Hof- und Staats handbuch only RAO4 and EH3b, so Waldeck and Luxemburg after that.

Once the puzzle is cracked....

Edited by Rick Research

• 8 years later...
    On 13/08/2013 at 20:49, saschaw said:

Almost forgot about that, sorry Antti...

... and my apologies to everybody else! I totally forgot about this thread nine years ago. I can confirm Telegraph director Zappe is still "living" with me and will stay for probably another nine years... at least.

Thanks to all who contributed to the identification and/or added further information!

:blush:

Edited by saschaw

• saschaw changed the title to Prussian official, pre-1900 - identifiable? (solved: Christoph Zappe)
    • saschaw changed the title to Prussian official, pre-1900 - identifiable? (solved: Telegraphen-Direktor Christoph Zappe)