News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ingolstadt, Bayerisches Armeemuseum

Dear forumites,

I am posting here also some pictures taken in the castle of Ingolstadt, also because most of the medals there are pre-1918. I might have already posted some of them years ago in another thread, but since the other two threads I started about Burg Hohenzollern (http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/60287-burg-hohenzollern-in-hechingen/ ) in Hechingen and Schloss Lichtenstein ( http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/60383-castle-of-lichtenstein-herzoege-von-wurttemberg/ ) were so appreciated and I have time to post today, I am more than happy to share with you some interesting pictures.

Here the official website of the castle in Ingolstadt: http://www.bayerisches-armeemuseum.de/en/buildings/new-castle.html

I do go almost go there once a year or every two years... it's a sort of pilgrimage for my brother and myself. ;)

Well let's the pictures talk...

1. Tschako of King Ludwig III as commander of the Bavarian 1st Jäger Battalion
    2. Prussian Kürassier Officer Helmet of S.K.H Kronprinz von Bayern, Leib-Kürassier-Regiment "Grosser Kurfürst" (Schlesisches) Nr. 1
    3. Detail of a Bavarian Cerimonial Royal Leib-Garde "Hartschier" in parade attire with medal bar (
    4. Bavarian RK of MMJO
    5. Medal bar of MKFO wearer Oberst Kurt Ritter von Scherf (with the bestowal of this order he could put the nobiliar denomination of "Ritter von" before his surname)
    6. Oil painting portrait of König Max I Josef of Bavaria
    7. Set of MMJO (Grand Cross, Breast star and Neck decoration)
    8. Again MMJ

post-199-0-83622000-1382261709_thumb.jpg

Edited by Claudio

1. Stained Glass with official family crest of Crown Prince Rupprecht
    2. Stained Glass of Leutnant Ritter von Steiner, Kemmel 15.04.1918
    3. Stained Glass of Hauptmann Ritter von Scheuring, awarded with the RK of MMJO for actions in Longueval in 14.7.1916
    4. Pour le Mérite (2), first Gold pre-1916 type, second silver gilted post 1916 type
    5. Different dinastic/religious orders of Bavaria (St. Georg-Orden complete set, etc.)
    6. Im treve Fast... ;)
    7. Bavarian Order of St. Michael
    8. Bavarian Order of St. Michael, Offizierskreuz/Steckkreuz
    9. Detail of Bavarian Order of St. Michael (rv)
    10. Another type of St. Michael (rv)

Iron crosses... I can't comment on the authenticity of the oakleaves, but they look nice in the exhibition...

1. RK EK 1939 mit Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillanten (very likely B-type), the RK looks like a Juncker L/12
    2. RK EK 1939 mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern
    3. RK EK 1939 mit Eichenlaub (almost mint conditions, also the oakleaves looks like new)
    4. RK EK 1939 (almost mint conditions)
    5. EK1 + 2 1914 with Wiederholungsspangen 1939
    6. Grand Cross of EK 1914 (Museumanfertigung?)
    7. EK2 1870 with oakleaves 25, on combattant and non-combattant ribbons

Some pictures of the permanent WW1 exhibition across the river (just opposite the castle of Ingolstadt) in the Festung Tilly:

1. Tunic with beautiful hand-embroidery of a 5th Foot Guard's officer (Epaulettes are missing)
    2. Some Pickelhauben in very good conditions
    3. Infantry Officer Pickelhaube (Königin von Schweden own Leib-Regiment)
    4. same as above
    5. German (Oberst) and KuK Officer (Oberstleutnant) WWI tunics
    6. Detail of KuK Oberstleutnant tunic with medal bar
    7. Detail of German Oberst Front field tunic (see the heavy gabardine type of fabric)
    8. Named Paletot of a Militär Tapferkeitsmedaille Junior Officer (can't remember the name of the officer, he got the medal as NCO or Fähnrich)
    9. Also named Litevka of a Major (can't remember the name, alas)

A newly opened section opened at a separate totally renovated venue (Festung Tilly), about the Bavarian police corps... from late 19th century up to nowadays... Really interesting exhibitions... very well done!

Some Municipal police Pickelhauben and uniforms an oil 3/4 portrait of a Hilfspolizist in the early 20ies (I think Oberbayern)

For Chris with love... :whistle:;)

Some partially blank EK Verleihungsurkunden for EKs (last one beautiful: Infanterie-Leibregiment) and a Anerkennungsurkunde for Leutnant August Krempe 13th Bavarian IR (Nr. 178). :love:

Those are indeed very interesting. I have the artillery one on the left, have never seen the 2nd one, have the third one, the forth one I have as well, but it is a Saxon document.

So I have to keep an eye out for the 2nd!!

Some of very nice late 19th century stuff... See also General Pickelhaube of the FAR3, own Queen Mary of Bavaria Regiment, Crown Prince Rupprecht Garde Marine Infanterie tunic, King's Ludwig III Uniform as Inhaber of the Bayerisches Jäger-Batallion Nr. 1... where to stop!!!! Aaarghhh.... it's quite impossible... :banger::o:love:

The Picklehaube with edelweiss is the one I need... where is the best place to get them? :-)

I guess at the museum... :whistle::shame: I was looking for one of them for a long time and never found one! This very Pickelhaube is no more on display, very likely put away in the Museum archives... hopefully not sold or taken away...

One of my favorite marches (also one of uncle Wolf's Lieblingsmärsche... what a coincidence :hitler: )... Parademarsch Nr. (Möllendorfer), played by her Majesty guards' band... It was played superbly, with a exquisite British twist of course, I must say!

Great stuff, Claudio. I really like the von Epp Max Josef, interesting that it was gifted by Neal O'Connor.

I missed that one.

Wow.

I would trade my whole collection for that and concentrate on researching von Epp for the rest of my days, fondling that in front of the TV every night....

• 2 months later...