News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare Naming on a QSA

When you have conflicts that involve large numbers of men and awards - i.e. Boer War , WW1 and WW2 - the

sameness of the medals often causes collectors to lose interest in them. For the true collector, the uniqueness of

the medals is in the naming. Rank, unit , different appointments, o/r or officer - these are the things that vary the

price and the collectability.

Today I was offered - and purchased - a QSA with perhaps one of the rarest namings. Nice patination, with just

one edge knock - which may indicate he was awarded another medal - and original ribbon. Two Province Bars -

Cape Colony and Orange Free State.

The naming is to : MR. R. GARDNER. CIVILIAN ACCOUNTANT. IMP. YEO.

I have never seen one named to an Accountant before - let alone Civilian Accountant. The cherry on the cake

has to be that he accompanied the Imperial Yeomanry to supervise and - probably - take charge of their expenses.

Over the years - like most of us - I have seen some unusual naming. Tug Boat Captains, Railways Drivers etc.,

but this has to be the most unusual. Value wise I would think about 700 pounds ($880) ?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-6209-0-55956300-1383215512.jpgclick

From my collection, Tibet 1903-04, 1 clasp Gyantse (Accountant Pestonji Jasji), mentioned in Younghusband's account. Got it quite cheaply (£420). I love unusual ranks and trades some of my favourites from my collection are 14-15 Star, Irrigation Darogha (a cop guarding the water supplies in Mesopotamia), Bronze IGS 54, Chin Hills 1892-93 to a Mahout (Elephant Driver), GSM Iraq to a Bellows Boy

Oh dear didn't mean to press the post button, a few more IGS 08, Mahsud, Canteen Contracter RAF, IGS 36-37 Stenogropher Frontier Constabulary, Roller Motor Driver, Military Engineering Service.

Your Civilian Accountant ought to be a must for any Imperial Yeomanry collector.

All the best,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I love medals like the ones posted here. I have a pretty good collection of WWI pairs and a few trios to Canadians. All I need to have something unusual about the medal or the man, and I am in like flynn,

I picked up a WWI pair to a man based on his answer to the the question "Are you Married"... His reply, YES (scratched out), NO (scratched out) About to be in brackets.

I figured if the guy couldn't figure out his marital status, I just have to have the pair.

I picked up a WWI pair to a man based on his answer to the the question "Are you Married"... His reply, YES (scratched out), NO (scratched out) About to be in brackets.

Imagine the slapstick movie....

Man in recruiting office---

he is filling out the form...Married... "Yes"....

In the background you see a piano falling out of a 3rd story window, landing on someone... he turns around... looks.... turns back...scratches out the "yes" and writes "no"....

At that moment a nubile young hussy walks by and he scratches out the "no" and writes "about to be"...

Then tosses the papers to the recruiting Sgt and says "Sorry, not joining afterall... I suddenly have something worth living for...."

Then he runs out, jumps over the remains of ex-wife, and jogs after miss nubile....

Camera turns to confused face of recruiting Sgt....