News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Translation of Bulgarian Award Cert

Pierce, is this a document for his Bulgarian Grand Officer, Civil Merit Order or his first class Military Merit Order? Not sure if he had war decoration on his Military Merit Order & document would reveal this.

Unfortunately I do not have photos of the two documents.

What is the difference in First Class and Grand Cross? Is first class the equivalent to Grand Officer grade?

My thanks

Pierce

Bulgarian czarist award structure can be confusing; brief overview follows:

What we call in English [& most other languages} the Bulgarian Order of Military Merit is, according to original statute, the military division of the National Order of Merit founded in August, 1891. This National Order of Merit was structured into a typical 5 class award with an associated cross and the highest grade being called 'first class'. By 1900 crown suspensions could be added to the lowest grade and cross for added merits. In May, 1900, the National Order of Merit was partitioned into two divisions, one for military and one for civil activities. Differences between the two divisions include use of red enamel for military merit vs. white enamel for civil merit; replacing oak sprigs between arms for civil merit with crossed swords for military merit and use of white green red ribbon for civil and yellow, black white ribbon for military. War decoration distinctions for the military division [laurel/oak wreath surround central medallion] came into use ca. 1916 during WW I. In 1933 [some say 1923] both divisions obtained what we generally now call the 'first class' grade ; a star badge and sash. However, as the pre-change highest grade had been named first class so the former first class [badge sash star] highest grade became termed grand cross.

All 'Military Merit Order' insignia have swords between the cross arms.

Main differences in appearance between Grand Cross and First Class insignia:

Often/Sometimes Grand Cross insignia is a bit larger in size

Grand cross 8 point star body is silver with 4 gilt rays appearing between 4 principal points -- first class 8 point star body all silver

Grand Cross sash about 100-105 mm wide First class sash about 90 mm wide. [sash color distribution a bit different for first class grade from other classes]

Believe there's a detailed discussion of these differences elsewhere on GMIC--see also Petrov's and Pavlov's works [excerpts on-line] on the subject.

Hope this helps you understand the differences in insignia/grades.

Edited by 922F

I will try and find a copy of Milch's award cert for the Military Order. Would someone here be able to read it and determine which grade he actually received? It is recorded in his Soldbuch as 1. Class but this, in German terms, would mean the Grand Cross. He has also recorded the Civil Merit Order as 2. Class- which is Grand Officer grade, as stated above. This is why I am assuming he received the Grand Cross of the Military Order.

I have managed to get a good clear copy of the award cert for the Military Merit Order.

It's for Grand Cross.

Awarded to Lieutanant-General E Milch, State Secretary of Aviation Ministry.

Very impressive doc! Do whether it's in a museum or in a collection?

Thanks New World, beat me to it. Could you identify the signatures [orders secretary and registrar], please? Great document--auctioned a few years back??

Edited by 922F