News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice one Larry ( with 2 KM Abzeichen!), is he wearing canvas anklets, and is that a little chain dissapearing into his left lower pocket?

9 hours ago, LarryT said:

Hi,

The photo is in an album which belonged to a crewman who served aboard M132  (1 Minensuchflottille). As there are many photos of the 1 Minensuchflottille 1 cap tally in wear I would say they were taken pre -1939. He served some time aboard the harbor vessel v.St. Hieckmann, Memel as well. The album contains postcards of Minensuchflottille Pillau, Pillau Harbor, Marineschule Flensburg, Torpedoschule Flensberg-Mürwik. Is it possible that the parade photo was taken at one of those locations?

Cheers,

Larry

So that's a bit of a puzzle still. Thanks for your reply!

26 minutes ago, nesredep said:

Hi Odulf and Larry,

Shoulder boards NCO Instruction Battalions afterMarch13,1938?

Wearing the marksmanship grade2.

Best,Morten.

img754.jpg

Hi Morten, a very nice portrait! Could jou please post a close up of the shoulderboard? 

On the left lower cuff visible, the double yellow/gold tapes of a Ober-/Hauptfeldwebel acting as Kompanieoberfeldwebel (Spiess) [Company Sergeant-Major / Warrant Oficer Class II).

The Kriegsmarine-Schiessauszeichnung (Marksman cord) is of blue wool, acorns in black,silver, gold to indicate class, not often seen on the feldgrau Naval tunic.

2 hours ago, Odulf said:

Nice one Larry ( with 2 KM Abzeichen!), is he wearing canvas anklets, and is that a little chain dissapearing into his left lower pocket?

So that's a bit of a puzzle still. Thanks for your reply!

It is a cord which is attached to the button on his top left pocket and runs down inside the bottom left pocket.

a cord attached to a whistle perhaps.

Oberfeldwebel.jpg

Here is one from my collection, 5. Marine-Artillerie-Abteilung, the cord of blue wool is inter woven with aluminium or gold bullion for higher grades but unfortunatelty the device at the end, shaped as an acorn (for rifle & machinegun), a shell (for artillery gunners), or a torpedo (for torpedo gunners) is just not visible.

KM - 301 - Marineartillerie-Abt. V - b.jpg

14 minutes ago, Odulf said:

Hi Morten, a very nice portrait! Could jou please post a close up of the shoulderboard? 

On the left lower cuff visible, the double yellow/gold tapes of a Ober-/Hauptfeldwebel acting as Kompanieoberfeldwebel (Spiess) [Company Sergeant-Major / Warrant Oficer Class II).

The Kriegsmarine-Schiessauszeichnung (Marksman cord) is of blue wool, acorns in black,silver, gold to indicate class, not often seen on the feldgrau Naval tunic.

Fantastic photo Morten, thanks for posting it.

Cheers,

Larry

3 minutes ago, LarryT said:

It is a cord which is attached to the button on his top left pocket and runs down inside the bottom left pocket.

a cord attached to a whistle perhaps.

Oberfeldwebel.jpg

Thanks Larry, could be a thin chain, indeed, for a whistle, whach or stop-watch. In general the whistle is tuched away in the breast pocket. This is fastened to the button in such a manner that the pocketflap cannot be opened without removing the ring of the chain/cord, so I presueme it is for a temporary purpose.

Another photo showing canvas gaiters in wear.

Cheers,

Larry

img027.jpg

On 28/05/2018 at 20:31, Hans Kristian said:

Really nice pictures you are sharing here.

I have only a few of the KM personel, here is one.

000000030003_red.jpg

Nice photo, thanks for sharing.?

Küsten-Artillerie.

Coastal Artillery 6.jpg

15 minutes ago, Odulf said:

Thanks Larry, could be a thin chain, indeed, for a whistle, whach or stop-watch. In general the whistle is tuched away in the breast pocket. This is fastened to the button in such a manner that the pocketflap cannot be opened without removing the ring of the chain/cord, so I presueme it is for a temporary purpose.

I agree, most likely a watch or stop-watch. Here is a photo of a whistle cord tucked into the breast pocket.

Wasserzoll.jpg

Nice stuff Larry!

The Captain (pitty we doe not see his face) is not of the Coatal Artillery but of the Fleet, so probably a harbour connandant of one of the larger harbours, by the look of the buildings i suggest La Rochelle, Calais, or another larger harbour.

2 hours ago, Odulf said:

Hi Odulf,

Thanks for great Comment,

Here is a new scann of Shoulderboards.

Just now, nesredep said:

Hi Odulf,

Thanks for great Comment,

Here is a new scann of Shoulderboards.

img758.jpg

27 minutes ago, nesredep said:

Hello Fernando,Odulf and Larry.

On left he is wearing The winter suits ;light suit two layers of grey cotton.

The jacket was closed in the front by six buttons .

Best,Morten.

img762.jpg

Nice photo Morten. He is wearing the Wendejacke (reversable) white/grey, actualy not on the Navy clothing list, but probably from the Army slops. These came also with reversable trousers and gloves. Here is another clear photo of the winter Wendejacke used by KM.

WH - 041x - Wendejacke.jpg

Edited by Odulf

2 minutes ago, Odulf said:

Nice photo Morten. He is wearing the Wendejacke (reversable) white/grey, actualy not on the Navy clothing list, but probably from the Army slops. These came also with reversable trousers and gloves. Here is another clear photo of the winter Wendejacke used by KM.

WH - 041x - Wendejacke.jpg

Thanks for comment.Glad you post your nice and  clear picture for comparison !

Hello Al,

Wearing the saber during a ceremony!

Cheers,Morten.

img761.jpg

Hello,

Wearing a SABER during a ceremony!

Best,Morten.

img761.jpg

9 hours ago, Odulf said:

Nice stuff Larry!

The Captain (pitty we doe not see his face) is not of the Coatal Artillery but of the Fleet, so probably a harbour connandant of one of the larger harbours, by the look of the buildings i suggest La Rochelle, Calais, or another larger harbour.

Thanks Odulf.

There are three photos in the series and two have a better view of the Kapitan zur See's face. Maybe someone knows who he is.

Coastal Artillery 4.jpg

Coastal Artillery 5.jpg

14 hours ago, nesredep said:

Thanks for comment.Glad you post your nice and  clear picture for comparison !

Hello Al,

Wearing the saber during a ceremony!

Cheers,Morten.

img761.jpg

Hello,

Wearing a SABER during a ceremony!

Best,Morten.

img761.jpg

That is also a scene we doe not see very ofter, the wearing of the Naval sabre with the fieldgrey uniform, excellent Morten! This confirms my opinion, that some of the smallest photos sometimes contain the most interesting facts.

On 14/08/2020 at 12:30, SICHERHEITSDIENTS said:

Nice pic Morten... Thanks for sharing ??

Thanks My friend!??

6 hours ago, Odulf said:

That is also a scene we doe not see very ofter, the wearing of the Naval sabre with the fieldgrey uniform, excellent Morten! This confirms my opinion, that some of the smallest photos sometimes contain the most interesting facts.

Hi Odulf,
    Good you write this as I think the same as you. Thank you for the comments and everything you contribute with your knowledge.

Cheers,Morten.?????