News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch/German

Hello!

Here I have photo of a dutch soldier in 1919/1920

He writes in german: Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit 1919-1920 Amersfoort.

"Errinerung" with a double r and a single n. Probably the photo was sent to his german friends or relatives.

Does anyone has informations of the dutch army in that era?

What does the stamp mean, please? 5th infantry regiment?

Niederlande (5.R.I.).JPG

Scannen0001.jpg

Hello Andy, you're presumption is correct. The card is probably written by a Dutch conscript to a German friend or family member. 

The marking in two lines reads: 1.I. / 5. R.I. This means 1st company, 1st batalion, 5th Infantry Regiment. 

Regards

Herman 

Hello Herman!

Veel Dank!

Do you know something about the organization of the dutch army between 1914 and the 20s?

I haven´t found anything in the internet

I´ve got another photo of dutch soldiers and a german officer.

unbekannt_(Holländische_Soldaten,_deutscher_Offizier).jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Hello Glenn!

Thanx a lot!  That helps a lot!

The 5th regiments was in Amersfoort. That fits to the photo! I read,  the barracks were called Bernhardkazerne.

Today there is a cavalry museum

Edited by The Prussian

The Bernhardkzerne was built 1938/39. The 5th Inf. Regt, until 1940, was stationed in the Lodewijkkazerne, at the Leusderweg.

This kazerne was one of 4, all bearing the names of sons of Juliana van Stolberg (Adolf, Hendrik, Lodewijk, Willem) built in a square surrounding a large square 1889-1892.

Enclosed a postcard of the Hendrikkazerne.

Hendrikkazerne - 1892 (61-10).jpg

To The Prussian : I had seen before the photo of german officer and others , and i said too , that to me the others are finns . Dutch no , the dutch army styled a high collar not a stand and fall . In reference to the dutch Army and others , exists a book of Blandford Press Army badges and insignia of WW2 . author : Guido Rossignoli . the book is in two parts the second contains British Commonwealth France , Netherlands , included the Colonial Army , Yugoslavia and Japan . In all cases Rossignoli gives a description not only of the badges , gives about the uniforms and the organization . 

Hello!

That´s intersting! I was told, the soldiers were dutch. I´d like to know something about the arm-patch. Maybe that could help.

Thanks for the link to the book! I´ll have a look!

But, are the differences to WW2?

Edited by The Prussian

Not much , the Netherlands Army , adopted in 1912 a field grey uniform , the same was in use during ww2 till 1940 at least . Numerically the dutch Army was in August of 1914 of about 88000 men raised to nearly 200000 by mobilization . in May 1940 the men mobilizated amounted to 280000 . Take a look to the site www waroverholland nl .

The Dutch Army adopted a greenish-grey uniform in 1912, with coloured collar and cuffs, but there were several changes of the field-grey (as it was named) uniform until 1940. Enclosed some coloured pictures of the 1912 uniform. As officers had to buy their own uniforms, the cut of their tunics (and pockes) and pants may differ from the general pattern. Also NCOs bought their own uniforms, of better make and fabric than the ordnance issue.

In 1914 the greenish-grey cloth was replaced by field-grey; in 1915 the coloured collar and cuffs were abandoned and replaced by coloured piping. Also the headdress changed, from a shako (1912), to a low kepie, to a higher kepie, and also the field service cap was altered in the years until 1940.

1913, Officier der Infanterie in marstenue.jpg

p No.28.jpg

q No.11.jpg

q No.114.jpg

In 1912, the Dutch Army abandoned the dark blue uniform which was the standard colour for about a century. The introduction of the M1912 was not executed immediately, the old stocks had to be used up first. When Holland mobilized, in 1914, nearly all ot the reservists still wore their old blue uniform M1905 (single row of buttons), or the even older uniform M1897 (double row of buttons). In contemporary group photos we see a mixture of tunics, pants and headdress, covering a period of 20 years!

Enclosed, a 2nd lieutenant of Grenadiers (note the bullion embroidered grenade badge on the collar) wearing the M1905 and M1912. With the introduction of the M1912, the old blue uniform for officers was considered to be used for parade and walking out.

The collar of his M1905 tunic is blue, of uniform cloth, he is wearing the M1905 kepie, on his left side the sabre for grenadiers' officers, which is of a differend model that the general M1912 infantry officers' sabre. The collar and cuffs of his M1912 are red, the field cap is also M1912.

img646.jpg

img647.jpg

img648.jpg

Edited by Odulf

Hello both!!!

Thank you very much for those fantastic informations!

I think it´s ti me for Odulf to write a book about the dutch army.

The Verlag Militaria jjust published a book about the belgian army in german, dutch and french.

Maybe they are interested in a publication of a dutch book?

https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=9506574&Language=de

• 2 years later...

My grandfather, my father and I all served a stint in Amersfoort. Amersfoort had multiple bases.

Here are a few images my dad collected.

43-Bernhardkazerne-2.jpg

12910.jpg

amersfoort_adolf-kazerne-001.jpg

amersfoort_hendrik-kazerne-02.jpg

amersfoort_juliana-van-stolberg-kazerne-000c.jpg

amersfoort_juliana-van-stolberg-kazerne-000d.jpg

amersfoort_juliana-van-stolberg-kazerne-000e.jpg

amersfoort_juliana-van-stolberg-kazerne-005.jpg

amersfoort_kamp-bokkeduinen-000.jpg

amersfoort_lodewijk-kazerne-02.jpg

amersfoort_militair-hospitaal-001.jpg

amersfoort_militair-hospitaal-005.jpg

amersfoort_militair-tehuis-vlasakkers-000.jpg

amersfoort_vlasakkers-000.jpg

amersfoort_willem-iii-kazerne-000.jpg

amersfoort_willem-iii-kazerne-008.jpg

This was my grandfathers unit 

PC241342.jpg

Very Interesting photos ! Amersfoort appears like a Barracks City , as they existed in USA  or in Hungary ,Hajmasker.in this case . The WW2  bad reputed Theresienstad because of the nazi Concentration Camp was originally a Austrian Military City thanks for share .

52 minutes ago, Bayern said:

Very Interesting photos ! Amersfoort appears like a Barracks City , as they existed in USA  or in Hungary ,Hajmasker.in this case . The WW2  bad reputed Theresienstad because of the nazi Concentration Camp was originally a Austrian Military City thanks for share .

The "Infanterie Kazerne" was more central and closed when they moved barracks to the outskirts. The city itself is a old medieval city with castle walls and all. Amersfoort did also have one of the worst concentration camps of The Netherlands during WW2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amersfoort_concentration_camp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amersfoort

Edited by OvBacon