News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

Help required ,new here so please be very kind to me.

This medal bar is part of a family group that I have just obtained,the wuttemberg cross has a little damage the cross is swinging by one ring, should I have it repaired ,the reverse has some damage as well as it had fell off at some time ,enamel and the cyber are both damaged.Have a lot more to show from this group but not sure if all to one man I assume to two different ones ,perhaps father and son?

Thanks for any help Freddy

fullsizeoutput_3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2.jpeg

The name of the recipient can be seen on the back of the hanger ,I was also given the same surname with a different initial,

Major W.Pickel

born fthdorf bei Nürnberg

Thanks Freddy

fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9.jpeg

Edited by freddy22

1870 button hole, the star is by a Constantinople maker have the case for it as well as a couple of other boxes/cases

fullsizeoutput_14.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13.jpeg

9 minutes ago, dedehansen said:

Hi Freddy,

two different persons.

Is the EK mini a 1870 version?

Could you please post a better photo from the name?!

Kind regards
    Andreas

Hi,

Hi,

1st and 2nd class minis and a 1870 1st clasp box and possible pin.

fullsizeoutput_18.jpeg

Box for Gallipoli star, A 1870 Ik1 ? and 2 others

fullsizeoutput_17.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_19.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1d.jpeg

Hi Freddy,

there is nobody with the name Pickel in the EK 1870 list.

I found a Hauptmann Pickel in the Ehrenrangliste des 

ehemaligen deutschen Heeres, serving with 2. Fußartillerie-Regiment at Metz.

Kind regards
    Andreas

Hi,

Besides the name on the hanger I was told he was a Major but I assume the the last recipient,So is it possible that the Hauptman you found was a Major in WW2 and the earlier 1870 items to a older member of the family's the chain with the minis is not the same as the ww1 medals?perhaps they belong to the other side of his family.

Thanks Freddy

So could be Grandfather from one side of the family and Father and son from the other, are there any known Pickels in WW2.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, freddy22 said:

Heres the best I can do with my scanner will try a photo tomorrow.

fullsizeoutput_21.jpeg

Whats the first part of the inscription looks like another name,

best I can make out is 

R.Schulein.  gl [intertwined]

3.I.Lbf.

E.Pickel gl[intertwined]

Ostern 35

Wilhelm Pickel from the 2. bayer. Fußartillerie-Regiment, born 17 April 1881 in Nürnberg, received the Charakter of Major a.D. on 29 Mai 1920. The World War I awards, both German and Ottoman, match those in the Bavarian Kriegsranglisten on Ancestry.com. 

The 1870 EK chain and minis match a Prussian railway Beamter, not a Bavarian, so perhaps not a close relative of Pickel (Pickel's father was a Bavarian Gymnasial-Professor in Fürth).

31421_BH15452-00047.thumb.jpg.2639ffc7d5dda8d995eb92cd3d3d0a95.jpg

HI,

Thanks to all for there help,

the medal is marked wco ?950 and 900 on the swords, am I correct that the wuttenberg order is real gold certainly do's not appear to be plated.The other case /boxes are for ? the mvo fits in 2 of them but has no lid decoration ,and imo the ik1 case is a 1870 version.

Thanks Freddy

Edited by freddy22

I believe the EK1 case is an early WW1 example. Ones from 1870 are extremely rare. You have a case for the Friedrich Order, which looks to be a real gold award piece. The MVO is marked for Weiss & Co. A very interesting grouping. The mini medal bar is also great.

• 4 years later...
    On 12/06/2018 at 18:10, VtwinVince said:

You have a case for the Friedrich Order, which looks to be a real gold award piece.

Despite the pictures are rather small, I can add a tiny bit of information: The Friedrichorden is gold and presumably made by court jeweler Eduard Foehr, but the swords aren't! The suspension is nothing like Foehr made them. These swords were added by the Royal Mint Stuttgart, perhaps to a pre-war cross, and are certainly made from gilt silver only. This was a common practice for Württemberg's WW1 orders! See Ulrich Klein and Albert Raff's Die Württembergischen Medaillen von 1864–1933 (einschließlich der Orden und Ehrenzeichen). Stuttgart 2010. p. 463–487. Here's pictures of a "whole-blood" Eduard Foehr piece:

05921 c2.jpeg

05921 d2.jpeg