News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have wanted one of these for ages, but like so many doc collectors I always think medals are uninteresting because there is no story to them. I was lucky enough to pick this up with the doc and the citation.....

The slightly flattened edges are because someone had this in a vice many moons ago....

i mean why the HELL would anyone want to put a beauty like that in a vice!!!!!! things people do i just dont know!!! :mad: and i to would take a beat up one anyday of the week!!! iv got one but its a wearers copy not a lovely silver one!! and the evil rick kindy got me a ribbion to go with it to so all good in the end!!! :beer:

Here you go....

The really nice thing is, I have a group MVO4th class, EK1 and 2 and a few other things to a Lt. in the same Battalion who took command of the 6th Company where this guy was serving as a Vizefeldwebel section commander. So these two guys must have really known each other well.

I think the thing that is really crucial with these Bavarian Bravery Medals (of either grade) is that one had to commit relatively insane acts of bravery to receive one.... they were not handed out lightly. And the recipients received much honor at home for this award and a great deal of respect. The other thing to remember is this was a strictly "Other Ranks" award and the highest Bavaria could recognize an individual act with. A cherished and honored thing it should be.

Guest Rick Research

That is also the LATEST citation document that I have ever seen. No immediate bells ringing who the Minister President of Bavaria was in January 1934, alas.

Most of these documents date from the 1920s. There were actually TWO "award documents." one was the plain old printed form like all other awards, and then later on these were given out as the ONLY German award documents specifically to bear full citation texts.

The citations are exactly as printed in the early 1920s "Bavaria's Golden Book," which adds each recipient's birth data and pre-war occupation/residence.

I'd say you need the regimental history now to see whether he survived the war or not-- and what other mention there may be of him.

i always find it mad the way that other ranks get a simple simple silver medal( its still realy beatuful though!!) for doing crazy mad acts but a office gets a lovely enameled medal for not doing to much!!! but whats new i guess!!! great medal and document to!!! :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Awwwww, ya beat me to it! So much for SLEEPING on it-- I found him too late last night to log on. Excuses escuses, whine whine.

Ludwig Siebert born 17 April 1874 Ludwigshafen, died 1942.

Mamber of the Middle Franconian Kreistag 1908-18 and Mayor of Rothenburg o.d.Taube about same time.

Mayor and Lord Mayor of Lindau 1919-33

Member of the Bavarian Landtag (NSDAP but not TOO early)

Member of the Reichstag (NSDAP) 12 November 1933 to death

Minister President of Bavaria April 1933 to death

He would have gotten all the boring stuff Reichsstattshalter Ritter von Epp didn't want to deal with.

(Next time I'll get up at 1 AM :P )

• 7 months later...

Hi Chris,

Don?t feel too badly about the edge damage. Take a look at this Hannoverian Waterloo Medal which was awarded to Sgt. .... Konitzi of the Landwehr Bn. Gifhorn. :speechless1: Such damage to medals of this era is not uncommon, having been caused by the medals constantly knocking into each other from bouncing around on one?s horse. Also, like the vast majority of these medals, this one has a replaced suspension clasp and ring.

Best wishes,

Wild Card