News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

While I would love to believe this is real...... it just doesn't look right to me and I don't even know what it is?! Can you help? What is it? Is it fake?

Thanks!!!!

Hi Stogieman,

I do hope this helps on this one. I have seen it before and I can tell you exactly where:

Red Army Uniforms of World War II in Colour Photographs by Anton Shalito, Ilya Savchenkov & Andrew Mollo; No. 14 in the Europa Militaria series.

The main reference and photos for it are on page 63 which is nearly the end of the book. There are actually two badges... this one is for Distinguished Marksman of the Red Army, instituted in 1938.

The other, which is all brass in color on the background star but with the inscription and the same square pattern in black and of course the star in red and the crossed barrels in silver as are the binocs. That one is for Distinguished Artillery Preparation of the Red Army; instituted in 1936.

Can't vouch for the reverse of the badge as I've never seen anything but the front... but I feel they are handsome little badges and I'd love to have a set myself... but no idea what they run. Assume they're pricey since I never see them. But from what I see pictured in the book and comparing it with yours I see no problems whatsoever! :D Nice find! :cheers:

Anyhow I hope this helps. :D

Dan :cheers:

Hi all,

First off, Stogieman, no problem at all! Glad I could at least get the ball rolling. And again, it looks the same as the one in my book too... not sure what differenciates the 30's from the 50's version. Probably something simple and obvious but with the day I've had work wise with both jobs I'm probably lucky I can remember how to post right now! :D:lol:

But also I did not know there were later versions and at least I have an idea on price now.

But I definitely agree... for as much as a comparative newbie as I am in some aspects of all this... looks good to me too! :jumping: Lets just say I'd love to have it myself. :love:

Ya did good methinks! :cheers:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Dan, not mine... it's in Germany. I did not remember having seen it anywhere before and probably because I really don't look at post-WW2 stuff unless it's in an associated group of stuff. Thanks Rick, Thanks Dan, Thanks Doc. Not something I'll be chasing!

For excellent artillery shooting

There are two different variantions of these badge.

1. The first one from the 30?s has a plain reverse with serial number.

2. The second one from the 50?s has a pattern tissue reserve an no serial number.

Both variations are faked.

My highest obeserved serial number for type 1 is 5.390 (original).

Edited by Alfred

For excellent artillery training

Here is the twin brother for the badge above.

As the badge for excellent artillery shooting is very rare, I think the badge for excellent artillery training

is much rarer.

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

Hi Andreas, thanks for posting your examples. So there actually is two variations... I still think the color of the first one I posted to be aturn-off... If I wanted to get one, I'd hold out for a 1930's from a good source I think!