News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear collectors, I usually don't collect medal bars. But if the price is low enough, I will also collect them. I currently only have three medal bars. What I want to know is that after their masters get the medals, they will be made up of this. If they win the medal again, they can apply for a medal again by obtaining a certificate to form a new long medal bar?For example, after the end of WW1. The winner won the 1914-1918 commemorative medal before WW2, then he needs to combine a new decoration to commemorate, he can use the certificate to get a new medal into a new medal bar?PS:If you can, I want to see the separate bars you collected. Thank you~

psb.thumb.jpg.a0ca16279d47d650a4f2257aa5f39f57.jpg1025641200_psb(1).thumb.jpg.f2025ce0b4c5a05343d2d21f7391c46b.jpg

Dear VtwinVince,

I think our Chinese friend meant to ask how persons who already have a medalbar update their medalbar. Which is quite simple to answer.

Let's say we have a Prussian captain, he has a three-piece medalbar with an RAO, KO and LS. This is a completely normal peace-time combination for a Prussian. In 1897 he gets a centenary-medal. He could update his medalbar by bringing the medalbar to a jeweler (like Godet, or any of the other jewelers who also mounted). He decides however, that since he considers the notion too expensive, to leave it be untill he gets another award. With the centenary-medal, there is not much prestige, so not all persons chose to update.

Different scenario: we have the same captain, now in 1915. He has in the meanwhile amassed several other orders. He receives an EK2. Feeling that this is an important decoration (it is, fight me?) he choses to update his medalbar immediately.

This is what it boils down to in essence. Regardless of whether it is a single-medalbar or a medalbar with several awards, whether it was updated was decided by the owner, based on the prestige of awards and the cost of remounting. (very expensive at the time, prices ranged but sometimes the cost was equal to several weeks of rent in certain Berlin neighbourhoods). I hope this explains the topic  to you, 1812 ouverture. For as far as I know you didn't have to proof you owned the medals, you just had to bring them in for mounting.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Laurentius, 

Does the same principle apply to an American soldier? 

I've seen some generals and other high-ranking officers that have a ribbon bar that looks like it could be quite heavy and always wondered if their branch of service or the officer involved paid for it.

Wessel