Sorry for the poor quality scan. Blame Google.

U-G.thumb.jpg.d7e7f6f8eb38e4fe461a063ea1ade69c.jpg

Here is my question. By the length of the arms and the apparent lack of any war decoration wreath, it would seem that the final decoration here is the Marianerkreuz of the German Ritterorden. How does a Protestant Rechtsritter of the Johanniter-Orden also get this Catholic order? Am I mistaken about the requirements? Am I mistaken about the cross?

Judging by the lack of the Offizierkreuz of the Albrechts-Orden, the picture dates from before 6 September 1917 and probably after December 1916, when Uslar-Gleichen took command of Jäger-Regiment Nr. 7.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Could the last one be the Austrian Red Cross decoration (without KD) or is that too far out?

I guess the ribbon doesn't match...?

Edited by Great Dane

Dear Dave,

perhaps the catholics were willing to look past his religion. They might have done this more often, if I recall correctly they were one of the pay-to-wear orders. You paid money which was used for red cross purposes and you received a decoration.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Uh, Dave,

nice pic!!!

The Marianer cross was a Donation thing. So I am fairly sure that was the case here.

Have somewhere a pic of another Johanniter, who got the Marianer and Austrian Red Cross decoration for "his spending efforts".

Best,

Daniel

Yes, it could be awarded for donations - the same for example as the kuk Ehrenzeichen/medaille of the red cross or the Hilal-i-ahmer

medal.