News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My stuff

Bob

Never get a chance to make a first impression right? Well, this is how I "display" my awards: in an old shoebox!

Still looking for a nice antique entimologists (spelling ok?) cabinet - the kind with many drawers with a glass top on each of them to showcase butterflies, spiders, etc.

Anyway... will follow with some better pics that do give an overview of (part of) the collection.

Main focus when I started was on Soviet medals. This focus has shifted to exclusively Mongolian and - finding it increasingly difficult to fill the gaps in that collection - moving back to Soviet in the future with a particular interest in HSU, HSL, Mother Heroine and state prizes. I'm also very keen on finding Soviet awards given to Mongolians or vice versa. Have 2 such sets in my collection, both groups of awards given to a Mongolian:

- bottom left hand corner: Soviet victory over Japan medal + two Mongolian 50 year medals

- bottom right: group containing one Soviet border guard medal

Enjoy!

Guest Darrell

Lovely stuff, I can take photos of boxed goodies too. Maybe I should . . . .

Most of my collection resides in those little fireproof safes. How they all can fit still amazes me. One is jammed full of German Cased medals ... hate to guess the dollar amount just sitting there all in the dark, cold and loneliness :(

... hate to guess the dollar amount just sitting there all in the dark, cold and loneliness :(

And unloved, mate, unloved. Medals require cuddling, you know . . . . Otherwise, they may not breed (where did you think miniatures came from?!).

:beer:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Darrell

And unloved, mate, unloved. Medals require cuddling, you know . . . . Otherwise, they may not breed (where did you think miniatures came from?!).

Hmmm ... I better watch them devils ... no telling what may come out if that Assmann Observer starts getting frisky with that 26 EK1 :o

Guest Darrell

By the way Bob ... sorry for the banter ... great collection. Any chance of some closeups of the award documents? :jumping:

By the way Bob ... sorry for the banter ... great collection. Any chance of some closeups of the award documents? :jumping:

Yes, please, as you have time, share these in the appropriate threads to help us piece this pesky Mongol business together! We have, after all, become the premier site for collectors of Mongolian awards!!

(And 'tis nice to see where all those goodies on which I got last-nano-second eSniped wound up -- in a good and loving home. :beer: )

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Lovely stuff, I can take photos of boxed goodies too. Maybe I should . . . .

The high-end boxed / documented stuff is cool of course but it's the little unexpected gems which give a lot of satisfaction.

I still haven't figured out why there's (fairly unique) a mint mark on the ring of one of my Mongolian mining medals (well, offically: badge).

On a different note... if anybody can produce a list of Mongolians who have received a high end Soviet award then that would be very much appreciated.

Guest Darrell

Sure - any ones in particular?

Not really. Start firing away. Try them in the Mongolian section like Ed suggests :beer:

Lovely collection, Bob.

Do post more :jumping::jumping:

If I have time I'll post some nice pic's of badges over the weekend. Also have two nice little packages coming my way as we speak. One is a group with 11 awards which is just dying to be researched... but we'll just have to disect it ourselves and speculate what this persons life story is for the time being. Pics to come on this one!

Great point Ed! It's like cop cars when they park side to side in reverse direction... ever wonder? They're breeding! :cheeky: And when it's a cop car and a Sheriff's cruiser or Trooper... cross breeding... watch out! :P I think that's where motorcycle's for cops are born. :rolleyes:

But yes, must definitely have lots of cuddling and love, a good warm environment and be spoken to lovingly... and I know I've heard them purr on occassion... the medals that is :rolleyes:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman