News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Evil looking truncheon

Hi,

I know absolutely nothing about truncheons but the post, ''earliest Metropolitan Police truncheons,'' gives examples of how stunning the Police truncheons can be - very impressive.

That post made me think, ''what might a truncheon look like...……. that was potentially used for criminal purposes.''

A truncheon that is designed to inflict serious damage to anybody, it is used against.

If you carry such a weapon, then obviously, you are probably prepared to use such a weapon.

This is an evil looking truncheon, simple design, cheap and extremely effective. 

The truncheon I have photographed is approximately 18'' long, has a lead filled centre and to ensure maximum damage has been fitted with groups of three metal studs around the head of the truncheon. I can't remember any history of this item but I must have an information sheet somewhere in the house.

SS859013 (2).JPG

SS859016 (2).JPG

SS859017.JPG

SS859022 (2).JPG

SS859032 (2).JPG

SS859019 (2).JPG

SS859014 (2).JPG

Hi,

Many thanks for the information, much appreciated.

It does have, what appears to be, very old bumps and bruises at the head of the truncheon. I could imagine somebody hitting the wooden boarding within the trench with the truncheon especially if they were frustrated etc. That is obviously, just speculation. 

I found a picture of a WW1 trench truncheon so I will add it on to this entry.

Again many thanks,

Alan.

WW1 trench club (2).jpg

Not unusual. As others have said, a military trench stick. 1stWW. In the late 1950's I recall my paternal Grandmother having one of these. She kept it in the small cupboard (containing the electricity meter) adjacent to he front door of her large Victorian house in the Wavertree area of Liverpool. Haven't a clue what happened to it. 

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Hi,

Because I love history, the great thing for me...…...is that I now know what kind of truncheon this is and when and what it was used for. It is already back in a plastic box, under a bed, in a spare bedroom. My wife hates history and if she found it in the electrical cupboard, she would throw it out.  [ha, ha.]

I much appreciate your assistance.

Alan.    

Yes, I'm afraid that even in the 'good old days' of policing, one's sergeant would likely take a dim view of any implement which would leave such easily identifiable marks on a 'perp'. 

Bobbies were and are, of course, allowed to use force if absolutely necessary, but are not to enjoy it nor, in a worst case scenario, do so in a way which might leave them open to civil action.  I can't imagine many cases in which even the toughest 'beak' would allow that 'a club wif nails in' was appropriate for a peace officer! ;)

Hello Dave,

Your comment brought back memories of being firmly reminded that he or she was an "alleged offender"; the court will make any further determination.

"Yes your worship" eyes down trying to look ever so humble, was the prescribed response. Ah the good old days.

Regards

Brian

21 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

I'm puzzled! This is a piece of military equipment and has nothing whatsoever to do with policing - let alone British policing. Incidentally, what is a "perp"? Oh, do you mean an offender?

Dave. 

The thread began as one on a possible 'police truncheon', now identified as a trench club. So...

Yes, 'perp' is slang - North American only slang, I suppose - for 'perpetrator' [suspect/arrestee/criminal]. :)

Just when I was starting to doubt the health of this forum this post appeared, the item was identified and then the post took on a life of its own, so-to-speak. Just like in the past, it's good to see this sort of "sport" is not extinct. 

Now before my statement generates hate mail, I was just kidding about the health of the forum.

Regards

Brian