News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...

I don´t believe, that a "938" silver mark ist to be found on that cross. In this case the "W" would be stamped too.

After October 1916 the returned golden decorations or parts of it were reworked and awarded again. As most returned orders were without swords and in war time most of the awarded with them, you find sometimes this combination of golden crosses with silvered swords. Because of the hollow construction of the golden decorations a stamped mark "W" was not usable, therefore you will find on them always a scratched "W".

Here such an example of a Crown Order 2nd class with silvered swords, the golden cross also marked only "W" scratched in the same way, as the Red Eagle shown above:

KO2X a.jpg

KO2X r.jpg

Ok so a golden cross, with scratched W, but with silver swords. I guess it does make sense. 
    A nice cross. Congratulations.

I have a Red Eagle 3rd Class with Crown and Swords made by Wagner with basically the same eagle and letter chasing

• 2 weeks later...

A nice and not too usual cross, and Komtur already explained why.

Only one in (full) gold could be more desirable...

;)

On 12/12/2019 at 23:31, Simius Rex said:

I'm still wondering what could be done about the bottom cross arm that's bent to the left?  Does anybody have any first hand knowledge about how it might be straightened out without damaging the enamel?  Simi

I have seen this quite some times before, especially with RAO and KO crosses in gold. Sounds odd, but I don't think this is a damage caused by wear, but rather a contemporary production flaw. When such a cross is assembled, from some thin gold sheet frames, it doesn't take much to get some asymmetry involved... 

:speechless:

On 12/12/2019 at 23:31, Simius Rex said:

The Red Eagle above unfortunately lost its original round gold medallion frames. They were replaced by gold plated silver ones.   

I wouldn't be too sure about that! For reasons I do not know, golden RAOs centers often have a rather strong gold patina. It might be their purity which might be lower than the cross body's, or they "suffered" from the way they were fixed to the cross... I really don't know why - but I wouldn't assume this centers to be gilt replacements.