News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Picture - old gentleman, high ranking orders, help appreciated!

ArHo

Dear all,

today I found this picture, though I do not collect imperial russian pictures.

I am very sure that this gentleman is wearing some quite high-ranking tsarist orders, I think the breast star is "Saint Anna" and the neck cross may be "Saint Stanislav"?

But I am glad for any advice, especially on the badges. - and on the back writing. Unfortunately no hints as to his name... ?

I have tried my best but there is no possibility to get a sharper picture.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers!

ArHo

DSC01459.JPG

DSC01460.JPG

DSC01461.JPG

DSC01462.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame that the picture is blurred here... I tried to do a little research but without books and expertise it is really hard.

I would say that the upper one, with the eagle sittig quite high, looks very similar to military academy badges I saw online.

For the lower one I would opt for a regimental badge, these seem to carry monograms quite often?

But of course these are all just guesses, the search goes on... ?

Cheers

Edited by ArHo

On 21/02/2020 at 15:49, ArHo said:

I would say that the upper one, with the eagle sittig quite high, looks very similar to military academy badges I saw online.

Well, all those badges looked quite similar. To me they look more like academic or society badges. I am not even sure if the gentleman was a military. He looks fairly civilian to me. If he was a soldier, his orders would probably have swords.

The neck decoration is the Order of St. Vladimir 3rd Class and the star is of St. Anne 1st Class.

To me he looks like a high-ranking state official (a state councillor or higher), or a university professor.

Thank you so much - to all of you who participated in this and especially Alex for identifying the badges! This  has reached an absolutely new and - for me - unexpected Level as I would never have guessed / searched in this direction! I will give it a try and sift through all the professors / well known artists of the academy (many of them are to be found online with pictures) and perhaps I will find the man...

Cheers!

Edited by ArHo

• 3 weeks later...
    8 hours ago, graham said:

ArHo,

Nikolay Mikhailovich Chagin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Chagin

@graham Wow, that same unexpected - and is just great! I say: Thank you very much!

Chagins short bio on Wiki sounds very interesting - I will definitely try to find out more about him.

I would love to hear how you tracked this man. Did you already know his face from some research for example?

Cheers and thanks again!

ArHo

Edited by ArHo

15 hours ago, ArHo said:

I would love to hear how you tracked this man. Did you already know his face from some research for example?

I don't know how Graham did it, ArHo, but if you upload your image to Google image search (https://www.google.com/imghp then click the camera icon and, after that, the Upload an Image tab) you will see your man about the fourth result down. (I used the URL of your image.)

2 hours ago, Trooper_D said:

I don't know how Graham did it, ArHo, but if you upload your image to Google image search (https://www.google.com/imghp then click the camera icon and, after that, the Upload an Image tab) you will see your man about the fourth result down. (I used the URL of your image.)

@Trooper_D Wow, that is a useful tip to try in future research - thanks!

Cheers

6 hours ago, ArHo said:

@Trooper_D Wow, that is a useful tip to try in future research - thanks!

Cheers

Glad to have been of help in your future research projects. I believe that there are more sophisticated search engines which are optimised for what are called a 'Reverse Image Search' (Google that phrase and you will find many of them) but Google Images is always a good start.

btw https://images.google.com/ is a better link than the one I gave in my previous post.

Edited by Trooper_D