News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Original German imperial peaked cap?

Hello everybody,

Could anyone tell me if this cap is original or a reproduction? I could not find anything in the reference books i own, and headgear is not my strong point.

Any comment will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Gijs

DSC00942.JPG

DSC00945.JPG

DSC00947.JPG

DSC00955.JPG

DSC00956.JPG

DSC00957.JPG

DSC00958.JPG

DSC00960.JPG

First, appears too small in size , nearly for a child . second , the cloth appears as old and of low quality , as you can expect in a WW1 mutze manufactured in 1915 . the grey band to conceal the red one ,looks newer than the cap itself . and if the cap is private purchased to Winter Berlin , the grey band is provided by Bekleidungsamt XVI

Hi GBL,

that was the opinion of ONE member of Feldgrau Forum, after you posted your query yesterday at 21:01.

I personally would never give an expertise on items w regard to their originality from just a photograph. With today´s possibilities a photo is not a solid basis to make such an assesment in many cases.

GreyC

There are indeed Krätzchen which had period added peaks... even issue ones with added peaks... and the grey strap does not have to belong to the cap, it is a moveable part after all... what I personally do not like is the label... it makes me think either a copy, or an original piece sexied up with a label....

I am pretty sure I know who made this, but I suspect someone replaced the lining and perhaps even added the Schirm as improvements to the repro cap. The Mützenverdeckbande itself is surely a copy. I know people who have made them as well--all for reenacting. I like that expression that it has been "sexied up" with the Winter label--something rescued used to embellish, or is it, too, something fake? The stitching around the edge of the lining looks synthetic, and has not discolored the way you see with the lining. 

• 4 weeks later...