News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian IOS M55 Infantry Officers Sword

The Portepee in the first one, with the wire, is often described as a cavalry one, but it seems not to be the case, it is just a variation and is also correct on an infantry sword... the Cavalry one also has the wirse but has a red leather lining... I suppose trotting around on a horse means you need a Portepee that has to withstand more friction than a normal one

The Cavalry portepee , was made of leather and called Faustriemen . for officers  it carries the same knot as the Infantry ones . the Prussians were made of black leather with the white represented by three lines made of silver wire , The Bavarians applied over red leather a silver lace stitched with light blue lines . Wurttembergians were of black leather with red lines stitched on 

Chris,

Don't know if this is true of all Infantry swords of the Bavarian Army but I own two very different I.O.S 1855 swords. (1) A fairly plain sword measuring 95.6 cm fitted with black metal fittings and a black scabbard made by Josef Vierheiligs of Munich, 1855 – 1887. I have assumed that this might well be purchased by a Unteroffizier mit Portpee or a cheap skate officer!

(2) A more elaborate Löwekopf Infanterie Offizier Säbel, 94 cm long with brass fittings and a black scabbard showing no makers' mark.

Would one expect officer's swords to usually be shorter or is this just to suit a shorter officer.

1 hour ago, aussiesoldier said:

Chris,

Don't know if this is true of all Infantry swords of the Bavarian Army but I own two very different I.O.S 1855 swords. (1) A fairly plain sword measuring 95.6 cm fitted with black metal fittings and a black scabbard made by Josef Vierheiligs of Munich, 1855 – 1887. I have assumed that this might well be purchased by a Unteroffizier mit Portpee or a cheap skate officer!

(2) A more elaborate Löwekopf Infanterie Offizier Säbel, 94 cm long with brass fittings and a black scabbard showing no makers' mark.

Would one expect officer's swords to usually be shorter or is this just to suit a shorter officer.

Apparently the Issue ones to Feldwebel etc came in 2 or 3 different sizes... my largest one is stamped "II" for size.... the officers ones are a bit "ladylike" ... smaller, finer, lighter... I have an artillery sword which seems to have been shortened for a smaller officer, both sheath and blade!