Dear fellow collectors,

I am looking for a list of awards received by Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb. The Wikipedia-pages in several languages all include some awards, but none of them seem to be complete. I would also appreciate the citation with his MMJO and any pictures of him wearing his decorations.

Kind regards and as always, thanks in advance, 

Laurentius

20 hours ago, laurentius said:

Thank you Alex, that's a great start. If I'm not mistaken the HoHx and the MMJO seem to be gold, whereas the BMVO4/3x seems to be silver-gilt?

Kind regards, Laurentius

The MVO is a third class with swords, awarded 12 Sept. 1917, so it should be  silver-guilt.
I miss the Eiserner Halbmond.
All decorations of the bar are equal to the ancestry database

Leeb Wilhelm (4).jpg

Edited by spolei

Wilhelm Josef Franz Leeb, born 5. September 1876 in Landsberg am Lech ... here is what I have now, please tell me, if I am missing anything:

China-Denkmünze für Kämpfer

Prinzregent-Luitpold-Medaille

Eisernes Kreuz (1914), II. und I. Klasse

Ritterkreuz des Königlichen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern

Ritterkreuz des Militär-Max-Joseph-Ordens (BMJ3)

Albrechts-Orden, Ritterkreuz I. Klasse mit Schwertern (SA3⚔)

Großherzoglich Mecklenburg-Schwerinsches Militär-Verdienstkreuz, II. Klasse (MK2)

Ritterkreuz des Ordens der Württembergischen Krone mit Schwertern (WK3)

Orden der Eisernen Krone (Österreich), III. Klasse mit der Kriegsdekoration (ÖE3K)

Bremisches Hanseatenkreuz (BH)

Hamburgisches Hanseatenkreuz (HH)

Eiserner Halbmond (TH)

Bayerischer Militärverdienstorden, III. Klasse mit Schwertern (BM3⚔) am 12. September 1917

Bayerisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz, II. Klasse (BD2)

Heeresbergführer-Abzeichen

Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer

Wehrmacht-Dienstauszeichnung, IV. bis I. Klasse

... I. Klasse am 2. Oktober 1936

Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938 mit Spange „Prager Burg“

Wiederholungsspange (1939) zum Eisernen Kreuz II. und I. Klasse (1914)

Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes am 24. Juni 1940 als Generaloberst und Oberbefehlshaber der Heeresgruppe C

Namentliche Nennung im Wehrmachtbericht am 21. Oktober 1941

Medaille „Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42“ am 19. August 1942

Großkanzler des bayerischen Militär-Max-Joseph-Ordens, 1954

1965 benannte die deutsche Bundeswehr die „Ritter-von-Leeb-Kaserne“ in Landsberg am Lech nach dem Generalfeldmarschall.

Edited by Deutschritter

Thank you Sandro

Isn't it weird that someone got the MMJO before the BMVO? Although, the date given in the document is 1915, the bestowel likely happened a few years later, as was often the case. Are there any WW1 pictures of him?

Kind regards, Laurentius

Pleasure. I'm not sure how often this occurred, but perhaps the answer lies in hte fact that the MMJO is a pure bravery award while the BMVO is more of a meritorious service award.

As to pics, I would have to search.

Here are his entries in the Militär Handbuch 1916 (where is listed as a Hauptmann im Generalstab):

image.png.d60f9ebe97ae46fb0f2f0c865f334452.png

image.png.41c12642160b9999face59bf6ec97fcc.png

Oddly, his MMJO is not (yet) listed, and he does not (yet) feature in the list of MMJO knightscross recipients set out at the outset of the Handbuch.

Kind regards,

Sandro 

Edited by GdC26