Long shot... medals on the bar......

I think it is very possible that he is von Malsen... he seems to have the same medal combination... Leiber , The Scharpe and tinsel... and stands right behind Kronprinz Rupprecht.... I think this may be his flügel adjutant von Malsen! ... and could that be Leonrod to his right? 3 Generations of the crown with 3 Flügel Adjutant behind them?000000a5b.thumb.jpg.e5066f88449be2491285103981471fc4.jpg

Not sure when in 1914 the pic was taken, but the front row seems to be Rupprecht and 2 of his sons, with heir apparent Luitpold Maximilian Ludwig Karl on the right (who, I gather, died on August 27, 1914).

Second row is Prinz Ludwig Ferdinand plus two Flugeladjutanten (or a Flügeladjutant and a Generaladjutant (hard to make out - the plume says no, the Kantillen on the epaulette are unclear and the Zahringer Löwe Komtur says maybe... My money is on two Flügeladjutanten, though).

Cheers,

Sandro 

e9286b8f68482b05c55093e0e6d3b732.jpg

ludwig-ferdinand-DYYG12.jpg

That is a nice set of medals! From where he is standing, I think the Flugel Adj with the spiked Helmet is probably that od Rupprecht... at this time von Malsen. And the fact that it is a Leiber uniform and seems to be corresponding medal bar... would you agree there are extremely good chances it is him?

15 minutes ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

That is a nice set of medals! From where he is standing, I think the Flugel Adj with the spiked Helmet is probably that od Rupprecht... at this time von Malsen. And the fact that it is a Leiber uniform and seems to be corresponding medal bar... would you agree there are extremely good chances it is him?

I think you are probably correct. Have you contacted the museum in Ingolstadt to see if they have a picture of von Malsen?

8 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Guys,

I have this young Ludwig Freiherr von Malsen in 1894.

Regards

Glenn

Malsen Frhr. von .JPG

Great find Glenn. I’d say his face has the same features as that of the gentleman in the pic Chris posted, so I think Chris’ identification was correct.

Kind regards,
Sandro

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,

that confirms Malsen. The bemedalled chap to his left is Friedrich Graf zu Pappenheim, Major à la suite der Armee with the uniform of 1. Schweres-Reiter-Regiment. He was the Crown Prince's Hofmarschall. (Hence all the bling)!

Regards

Glenn

23 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Just by coincidence.......

xxmal2.thumb.jpg.002d0aefce9b96db272e810aeb3827b8.jpg

And what, pray, is that urchin doing lurking in the background? Up to no good, I'll be bound. Security obviously wasn't a thing, in those days.

2021-01-16_14-15-59.thumb.jpg.838fc2e96904699464688c457ae1bbe5.jpg

Ah, unless it is the real prince who has swapped places with his doppelgänger the bootboy for the day, for a lark! (Full disclosure: I think I might have stolen that idea from a book I read as a child!)

Edited by Trooper_D

1 hour ago, Trooper_D said:

And what, pray, is that urchin doing lurking in the background? Up to no good, I'll be bound. Security obviously wasn't a thing, in those days.

Ah, unless it is the real prince who has swapped places with his doppelgänger the bootboy for the day, for a lark! (Full disclosure: I think I might have stolen that idea from a book I read as a child!)

Its Gavrilo Princip ... thinking to himself.... "hmmm... file for later use... there IS a way for a poor young man to make it into the history books!"

• 2 months later...