News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I have here a couple of Bavarian medal groups here to show. I imagine that the first group was a pre-war professional who was promoted through the ranks (judging by the MMO). The second a pre-war professional NCO (??).

Any clarification is always appreciated :)

The first includes the MMO IV Class, EKII, Hanseatic Cross (Hamburg), & the IX Years Service Medal. 

The second group includes the Military Merit Cross II Class (with swords), EKII, Hindenburg Medal, IX Years Service Medal, 1905 Jubilee Medal, & the XXIV Years Service Medal.

I’ll post some more from Bavaria anon, as well as more from my collection (if you would be interested in having a peek?!). 

Take care everyone & stay safe!

412C6C9D-ADAD-48BA-B70C-BCC162816525.jpeg

FE6D74E0-9EB8-4775-8F81-A1E0D465A79F.jpeg

Edited by Langers
    Typo

Lovely bars.

Offhand I'd say the first one is to a Bavarian, judging by the placement of the MVO4X ahead of the EK. Must have enlisted just before the war (no 1911 Luitpold Jubilee Medal) and was commissioned into the officer ranks just before the war's end, thus having accrued enough service time for the long service medal (war years counted double). 

Regarding the second bar, it seems slightly odd that the bar itself has a crown and swords device on it, but the MVK2X itself has no crown; possible switched at some point in the past? Also strange of two Bavarian long service awards, particularly when the 24-year one comes behind the 9-year one. Construction from the front however looks good. Is the Luitpold Medal the 1905 or 1911 version? 

3 hours ago, redeagleorder said:

Lovely bars.

Offhand I'd say the first one is to a Bavarian, judging by the placement of the MVO4X ahead of the EK. Must have enlisted just before the war (no 1911 Luitpold Jubilee Medal) and was commissioned into the officer ranks just before the war's end, thus having accrued enough service time for the long service medal (war years counted double). 

Regarding the second bar, it seems slightly odd that the bar itself has a crown and swords device on it, but the MVK2X itself has no crown; possible switched at some point in the past? Also strange of two Bavarian long service awards, particularly when the 24-year one comes behind the 9-year one. Construction from the front however looks good. Is the Luitpold Medal the 1905 or 1911 version? 

Cheers!

I quite agree with the first group. 
    I know what you mean about the second. The crown is odd!  I believe it’s a 1905 construction. I can’t work out why the service medals are split :S 

1 hour ago, laurentius said:

Very nice bars, and if my memory serves me right the first one is already mentioned in the Bavarian medalbar thread ?

Kind regards, Laurentius

Cheers! How would I search that?

17 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

I wonder if he was a native of the Hansa Stadt?

Hi Chris,

no the Hanse Städte gave their hanseatic crosses even to soldiers and officers which are not born in a Hansestadt. If your commanding officer was from there or your fought in regiment with some relationship to the Hansestadt or you work in a military institution and did something well for the soldiers of that cites then you could get a hanseatic cross as well.