News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Infantry Assault in Silver

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the back, again, ugly pin set-up, bad re-soddering.

Hi Pat,

I'm not an expert on these by far... but I just don't like the look of the pin/hinge setup on this one. :( Could be wrong and hope others comment as well but just something about it as well as some of the look to the front makes it something I would probably have passed by.

I really hope I'm wrong... have been rooting for you, but better to find out now.

Hope this helps, :cheers:

Dan

Here is the other one I have like it, except made out of tombak. It is mounted to a lanyard.

Anybody know the maker?

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Definitely need better pics on both the silver and the bronze. But on the bronze it's incorrectly mounted on what appears to be a Schutzenschnur. This is an award for shooting... kind of like our markman badges in the various services. They were used from Imperial times (I believe) all the way up to present day and were also used by the DDR. And they were also service specific with a Kreigsmarine version, Luftwaffe version, etc.

But this is not the correct insignia for the lanyard. I would definitely take the bronze infantry assault off of that (carefully) and then examine and take pics of the reverse of the bronze. It could well have a makers mark or gives clues to the maker and indeed the originality (or not) of the piece. But from this pic I just can't tell.

Hoping once you post the new pics of both that others will comment. I really hope these turn out okay... or at least the bronze.

I used to have several of these but only have my framed set from John Angolia now... along with a stickpin mini like those you see in cased sets on occassion.

Framed set:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7841&hl=

Stickpin:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7485&hl=

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and looking forward to seeing better pics.

Dan :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

You've no idea how I hate to say this... but don't really like the look of either of these. I hope the others prove me wrong, but for various reasons I don't think these look good.

Are they from that same German or someone else? Regardless, if it was me I'd take them back for a refund post haste! :(

Dan :cheers:

Hi Pat,

I dont profess to be an expert on these...BUT I have to agree with Dan on this...they both look to me to be cast fakes...the pitting on the reverse's gives them away....

Sorry!

Keep trawling this site ...you will learn alot and get very sharp eyed...

Hope they did not cost you too much! or even better...hope you can send them back!

Cheers

Paul

Both appear to be cast copies......pretty good from the reverse view I would say. These are cast more then likely from a good "BSW" IAB. Sorry.........

Hi Pat,

I dont profess to be an expert on these...BUT I have to agree with Dan on this...they both look to me to be cast fakes...the pitting on the reverse's gives them away....

Sorry!

Keep trawling this site ...you will learn alot and get very sharp eyed...

Hope they did not cost you too much! or even better...hope you can send them back!

Cheers

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Sadly, it appears most of my badges are early cast copies of originals, which explains why the front details and maker marks match on most of them, but lack sharpness and correct pin set-up. Luckily, I have fared far better in the last couple of years after that first year when these were bought. Considering how much I paid for them (35 bucks each) I should have known they were fakes, but I really didn;t know how valuable they really were. Nimmergut's price guide solved that. This has been an invaluable lesson and I thank everyone who has helped out!

Cheers,

Pat