News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BISMARCK! (not the city in North Dakota)

OK, why do the shoulder boards on Bismarck's cuirassier uberrock look white?  Photographs at this time caused the light yellow to look very dark so the yellow collar and piping is dark.  Is white the Korps color, not regimental color, that would have been worn for the shoulder cords underlay? I thought that applied only to infantry and artillery.  Is white some special color denoting his civil rank or alasuite status?

apijwjvdn__35734.1626710087.jpg

otto-von-bismarck-1815-1898-german-prussian-statesman-in-army-uniform-BYXKCH.jpg

c41f80e472b6ce14b555389f94376d6b.jpg

....and yes, I've seen the museum photo. The boards look not original to the coat: see how they overhang the shoulders?

3dee23bb18cfe074950b201229bdc046--german-uniforms-military-uniforms.jpg

Edited by filfoster

No one knows? He supposedly held a reserve officer (major) commission in something called the 1st Reserve Heavy Cavalry Regiment or 1st Heavy Reserve Reiter Regiment that is supposed to have worn uniforms similar to the 7th Kurisassier Regiment. It may be the authors had this wrong and he was rather, a reserve officer in the 7th Magdeburg Kuirassier Regiment No. 7.  

Anyone know anything about this? King William gave him a promotion to Generalmajor I guess because of his civil rank.

Edited by filfoster

Hi,

Bismarck himself served with the Garde-Jäger and later with 2nd Jäger Btl as Einjähriger.

In 1868 he was granted á la suit status with the 7th Kürassier-Regiment and in 1894 he was made Chef des Regiments. At that time he was already promoted (in 1890) to Generaloberst der Kavallerie with character of Generalfeldmarschall.

The uniform you show is that of the 7th Kürassiere.

GreyC

About Bismarck, a period drawing from an (unknown) artist from Commercy, who documented German occupation in 1870-1871.

Here showing the Chancellor being set up for his stay at Commercy :

Bismarck.thumb.JPG.905477727843792f8c9466d3b3535369.JPG

An an extract from "Bismarck in the Franco-German War 1870-1871", by Moritz Busch (1884) :

2039168036_BismarckinUniform.jpg.5e47a768da550325ddc606525c404025.jpg

Jerome.

• 5 months later...

During november 1990  I went to a great exposition about the German Unification in 1871 and ..Bismarck .among the many exhibits were a uniform that belonged to the Prince including a pair of his riding boots of the old Kurassier type ( Stulpstiefeln ) that is reaching over the knees in the front and the back . I feel impressed by the size of the boots and it height 

Yes those heavy cavalry boots from that time were very tall. The shafts varied from fairly snug to pretty roomy, from the photos. ( see, e.g. the Verlag books on the Franco Prussian War uniforms). I don't have those and really don't dress up as these characters. I usually display them 'table top', laid flat. I just happened to have the mustache when this rig arrived. (As an old retired person, I change my appearance constantly during the year, growing/shaving hair on my head and face. It's a very affordable hobby and amuses my grandchildren. My wife, less amused.)