News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What bothers me the most are the ribbons. One is dirty, yet another is clean. One is tattered and another is crisp. It does not add up. Plus the extensive wear on the China service medal is indicative of a medal that has been lying around loose for decades. It does not look like it has been on a medal bar since 1901.

Dan Murphy

As an aside Ladies & Gentlemen!

When posting a link to an auction it's always best to copy the auction photos to your hard drive (right click, save as in "my pictures"). When the auction is over, eventually these links/photos might vanish. By reposting the photos here, we'll have a record of what we were actually discussing.

Also, it will help certain (evil) individuals who don't like to click on links!

;>)

As far as I can see it looks like a non-combattant ribbon bar.

OK it could be for a medic, but ...

All surviving soldiers of the Peking defenders were awarded the Prussian Military Decoration 1. class, bar one exception: Seesoldat Horn got the golden "Milit?rverdienstkreuz".

Got a list with all names of the 1-4 company of the III. Seebataillon under Count von Soden.

So if you got a single China-Denkm?nze or on a single ribbon bar with the clasp "Peking", it might be OK.

But on a big medalbar you should find the above mentioned decoration.

That`s the way I see it.

For the gentlemen a single medal from my collection. Sorry for the bad picture; it`s right from my hard drive.

Greetings

eitze

• 4 months later...

Gentlemen,

this very "interresting" bar :speechless: re-appered :speechless: ...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...A%3AIT&rd=1

Easy to re-recognize with the holes in the China ribbon, the litte brighter spots on the Centenar ribbon, even if there is now a Red Eagle order and an EK II (please also have a look at the EK ribbon, it is not as nice fixed as the rest is, is it?) ... :shame:

Guest Brian von Etzel

I'm 99% you're right about this. Completely rebuilt with a ribbon bar to give it better provenance. Seller is THOR 1918.

The clasp PEKING does definitely not belong to this medalbar even not on a single bar. Only the 39 survivers from the III. Sea Bataillion were entitled to wear ist. And in this case together with the Military Honor Cross 1th Class from Prussia. Additionally some were decorated with war decorations of Anhalt, Bavaria, Baden, Brunswick, Saxe Duchies, Mecklenburg, Oldenburg, Wuerttemberg and Russia. One exemption is Count von Soden he received the PlM. First he was decorated with the Red Eagle 4. Class with swords but this was withdrawn for the PlM.

The problem is that everybody could buy this clasp or another. So if somebody liked to wear it because he was at Peking, or not, after the rebellion he did it just to make himself important. You find it alone or together with other clasps. Those clasps were produced by one or more manufacturer at this time and nobody knows how many. Additionally you will find a lot of fakes.

Bernd

Gentlemen, what do you think about this bar from the same seller as the China bar?

Actually, he does have much good stuff, but not all is fine, is it?

I do not really know why I don't like this bar, it's an Oldenburger who was in Tyrol - or where they all in the navy and far far away from the mountains?

Actually, he does have much good stuff, but not all is fine, is it?

Hallo saschaw, :beer:

I think this seller Thor 1918 should be added to a Dodgy Dealer List, he is obviously altering bars to suit the wants of the customers, not fair at all.

Do you think you could trust any of his bars after this expose? :angry:

Kevin in Deva.