News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does This Look Okay

gjw

On 31/01/2022 at 16:01, Simius Rex said:

The medals and trifold ribbons are period-originals.  The medal-suspension clasp shown is a Hungarian manufactured item and was used during the communist era to hang a row of medals onto a Hungarian tunic.  They came in a variety of lengths.  

A dealer by the name of Ferenc Tengergdy at dreiecksband.de purchased a huge surplus of these clasps and sold it on his website for many years.  I even bought a few of them as a means of creatively displaying my Austrian medals, even though the clasp is not a pre-1945 item. 

Mr. Tengerdy's stock was depleted years ago, but every so often I see these clasps poping-up with medals suspended from them.  Unscrupulous (or uninformed) dealers call them KuK "medal bars" (which they are not) and can get more for these common medals by labeling them as medal bars.

Austrians (pre-1938) and Hungarians (pre-1945) suspended their medals from overlapping cording sewn onto their tunics.  In a few rare instances, some tailors and housewives came-up with clever, non-traditional ways to sew trifold ribbons together having suspension hooks on the back to expedite removal and mounting of awards onto tunics.    

Spangen.jpg

Good morning,

Thanks for posting the instructions for wearing awards on these mounting bars.  The only thing not mentioned yet is the "Bestell-Nr.  This number indicates the maximum number of awards that can be mounted on any bar according to the length of the mounting bar.  Once the number of awards is reached per bar another bar must be used to mount the remaining awards.

Regards,

Gordon

I'd like to post a picture illustrating this.

1.jpg

Fascinating and very useful discussion, Gentlemen!    As Simius Rex advised, some used "non-traditional ways to sew trifold ribbons together having suspension hooks on the back to expedite removal and mounting of awards onto tunics."  Here's an example bought in Vienna's main flea market in the early 1970's.  Group of awards them self seems rather out of the ordinary.  The vendor explained that some relative switched out the 'gold' one [Iron Crown] in the 1920's and that the bar as is was worn up to the late 1930's.    Several explanations for absence of Hungarian and Bulgarian WW I 'Participation' awards and inclusion of two unofficial medals could exist.      

I have a 3 award Bulgarian group mounted on what appears to be a Kadar-era pin clasp.  It is not to hand presently.   

2288 001.jpg

AH Gp 1 001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

It may have been addressed already or i may be wrong ( cos it happens ?) but i’m pretty sure the Karl Kreuz should be second after the bravery regardless...

tony

On 31/01/2022 at 14:55, gjw said:

Hey all,  does this mounting look okay?  Period or recent?

Your thoughts please.

Thanks so much 

Greg 

41640-2.jpg

11007B3F-F7D9-45CD-8413-466599F5C302.thumb.jpeg.7eff2f615393bbcb06bac0a57de06bea.jpeg

Simius,

not relevant?

the title is literally...

’Does this look okay’

7F7EC448-6F31-450F-8080-134416A640CB.thumb.png.3d99648fbe6a2a04fa2b854da74940f5.png

And yes i read it all.

It was very interesting.

I just read it again.

On 20/05/2022 at 17:55, Simius Rex said:

the order in which the awards are mounted doesn't really matter.  I guess one would have had to actually read the other posts in the thread in order to know that

I still didn’t see anything that makes me think the order medals are mounted  ‘doesn’t really matter’.

tony

6 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

After a medal bar is determined to be fake, discussing the order in which the faker mounted the medals is a bit absurd.  The OP's bar is a modern, put-together fake and that, quite frankly, is the end of the discussion.

Simius.

So why did you get to decide discussion is ended upon the conclusion the bar was a fake?

You said it was ‘fake’, then you still went into great detail after yourself making that clear, you shared your anecdote about a dealer bumping prices... yet you put me down for simply mentioning the order. ?‍♂️

Would i have called your comments (by your standards) absurd or irrelevant because the conclusion was already clear? No. 

Did you tell Gordon or 922F that their contribution was irrelevant? No.

But you have a dig a me over F all...

That doesn’t encourage engagement by me or others, especially those new, on gmic in general.

Anyway It’s been ‘interesting’ talking to you but i think best now i leave you to yourself.

tony

Hello all, just so everyone is aware.  I did purchase this bar.  The cost was $100.  So, basically the price of the medals combined.  The dealer I got it from was aware that the bar was put together, and he priced it accordingly.

I'm kind of surprised that no one mentioned that the ribbons of the 1908 Jubilee and the Tyrol Defense are switched around.

Anyway, just my 2c regarding this.

Best,

Greg

Hi Greg

(sorry for ranting on your thread ?)

...i think $100 is about £80 

With those lovely ribbons that’s a better price than i’m seeing in the UK at the moment...

i’d have snapped them up too!

Cheers

tony

?????????

Thanks for the kind words Tony.  Don't worry about any "rants".  All discussion is good.  Good points were made and I found this a very informative thread.

Thanks again for everything!

Stay well

Greg