News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oberst a.D. Georg von Scheffler - Knox

Hello gents,

What can you tell me about the military record of this fellow?

I understand he was a German Baron and served as an adjutant for the 66 infantry brigade which seems to be part of the Prussian 4th or 5th Guards.

He inherited an estate from his grandfather in the United Kingdom around 1910 which he had to leave in 1914 at the outbreak of the war. After the war the British Government sold the estate under the terms of the Trading with the Enemy Amendment Act of 1914.

Does anyone have a picture of him during the war?

Can someone translate the body of his award document for the Ernst Kreuz at all?

His ordenspange can be found here 

Many thanks

0008A0DA-4E3E-4AAB-B9DF-034BC8DE23A0.jpeg

E965475F-031E-44E6-A45E-D944377A6A44.jpeg

DC36F5CA-1142-4CAA-9D8C-3D731EB49D48.jpeg

22 hours ago, Trooper_D said:

I can't add anything to his military career but there is some information about this interesting man - including how he became a Freiherr - and the estate in Northern Ireland he lost, here, 

https://theirishaesthete.com/2016/06/06/hanging-on/

Thanks Trooper_D for the link.

Adjutant to the Commander of the Cadet Corps

Governor of the Royal Pages in the Prussian Army

6 hours ago, saschaw said:

You mean, one like this? I think that's a modern print from my archive, but it should get the job done...

:whistle:

PA136 a -    Major aD v. Scheffler-Knox.jpg

This is fantastic Sascha, Thank you.

It's great to see Ernst Kreuz in wear and his medalbar.

• 1 year later...

I found this thread because I came across the name "Karl GEORG Otto Ludwig von Scheffler-Knox" on an auction site and wanted to know more about him. 

His "Namenvermehrungsbrief", i.e. the imperial authorisation to name himself and his male descendants "von Scheffler-Knox" from then on, is being auctioned. At this time (1912 or 1913), Scheffler-Knox was a first lieutenant and adjutant in the command of the cadet corps. 

It is an extremely elaborate document, signed by Wilhelm II, which also mentions his possessions in Ireland (and the resulting rights). It is packaged in a splendid, sealable box. Unfortunately, the full text cannot be read.
    You may still find it interesting.

https://katzauction.com/lot/470257