News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spate of fresh EK offerings

A couple of decent prices achieved for desirable EKIs at recent auctions has provoked a mini glut of similar offerings on our favourite emarket website. And as you would expect, the offer prices reflect those reached in the more 'legitimate' marketplace. So no surprises there. Crosses currently on offer could turn a young collector's head but we shouldn't get  corralled by the urgency of their Buy It Now (before some other schmuck does) pricing traps. Sei wachsam gentlemen as ever. My fond hope is that this flurry of activity may actually winkle out some real gems in private hands who decide to cash in while the market is high. Now that would be a real result.    

BlackcowboyBS,

I don't know of any exact English equivalent but 'keep your eyes skinned' is close. Sounds painful though.

As for the crosses mentioned in my first post, no bidders as yet. And while I am keen to add fangs to my own collection, something about both these current offerings makes me chary and I can't put my finger on exactly why. It's not price as that is what one could expect to pay for a good example. Any pointers/comments will be welcome.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334359256549

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334355714032 

On 13/03/2022 at 11:13, BlackcowboyBS said:

I love that german saying, is there an english equivilent to it? I know: to keep your power dry but I am not sure if there is a closer translation to it. 

"trust in god and keep your powder dry" --oliver cromwell, early 1800s

"keep your eyes peeled" is what i say over here in the new world

i don't know about you gentlemen, but personally, it's been extremely difficult to source decent iron crosses lately unless one is prepared to pay ridiculous prices, which i refuse to do! for me, part of the satisfaction of collecting comes from finding things that are "out in the wild" and not on a dealer website or on a dealer's table or store

1 hour ago, Eric Stahlhut said:

...... for me, part of the satisfaction of collecting comes from finding things that are "out in the wild" and not on a dealer website or on a dealer's table or store

Hello Eric Stahlhut,

well I guess you "hit the nail on the head" but I feel that those (we) "hunters" are a

dying species.

Since the internet e.g. ebay started to replace flee and collector flee-markets - the "professionals" e.g. dealers started to come in as well and set the prices. After all it's their business and livelihood.

Participating initially as collectors many of those then decided to join this business - becoming professionals themselves. And the internet certainly made it possible to thoroughly sweep the local market - to national market - to the international market between 1990 - today.

As such even a non-knowledgeable person can (if he wants to) find out what exactly he has and what it's worth by simply placing in on a website such as here or sending a photo to a professional.

The question to me is rather - will the market remain stable for a certain period or will prices continue to rise? and if yes well just pay the so-called Market-price to who ever offers an item that I might long for. 

So I am still hunting for a desirable item and hopefully might make a bargain.

The real problem to me is the extreme rise in fakes due to those ever increasing prices.

Regards

Andreas

Edited by v.Perlet

I agree, the market was quite different online even a few years ago. I remember seeing a genuine early Hossauer Black Eagle Order sell for scrap gold value (unfortunately I missed the auction). That would never happen in this day and age.

Agreed. The market has changed thanks to www. What used to be a fairly niche interest creating a select & limited market is now a global mosh pit. And where there is any demand there will always be fakes. I don't believe that Andreas' 'hunters' are a dying breed but the game has certainly changed and the remote possibility of stumbling over one of Eric's bargains 'out there' remains a constant drive for most of us I'm sure. Train spotting starts to look like a more secure pastime?  

let's not forget about how the pandemic has affected our hobby. thanks to the dreaded "spicy cough" there have been very few local flea markets, garage sales, and other similar venues. no more easy pickings for people who know what they are looking at

On 14/03/2022 at 19:53, v.Perlet said:

Hello Eric Stahlhut,

The real problem to me is the extreme rise in fakes due to those ever increasing prices.

Regards

Andreas

Exactly, this is ultimately the greatest threat to our hobby, in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...
    On 14/03/2022 at 19:29, Peter Cornwell said:

BlackcowboyBS,

I don't know of any exact English equivalent but 'keep your eyes skinned' is close. Sounds painful though.

As for the crosses mentioned in my first post, no bidders as yet. And while I am keen to add fangs to my own collection, something about both these current offerings makes me chary and I can't put my finger on exactly why. It's not price as that is what one could expect to pay for a good example. Any pointers/comments will be welcome.  

On 23/12/2021 at 01:56, augustin1813 said:

Nice item.

I think it could be from the Napoleon III period, or even later.

On 09/01/2022 at 07:20, CollectorInTheUSA said:

This is a very interesting thread, and thanks to everyone who has posted here.  

Question:  is it safe these days to buy WWI and WWII medals and artifacts at German and European auctions?  

I am thinking specifically of "Hermann Historica" and "Ratisbon's".  

Are they reliable?  Are their experts knowledgeable?  Do you ever see fakes showing up at their auctions?

Pic055.JPG

Pic056.JPG

Pic057.JPG

On 14/03/2022 at 19:29, Peter Cornwell said:

BlackcowboyBS,

• 1 month later...

Well one of the 1914 Godet 'fangs' mentioned in my earlier post eventually sold and although the cheaper of the two it was the better IMO. I sincerely hope that its new owner is happy with their purchase now in hand. The other cross on offer remains unsold so perhaps we collectors are following Eric STAHLHUT's sound advice and simply refusing to pay inflated prices. Perhaps we should offer sellers equally ridiculous low offers until they get the message? What a hope. The continuing absence of regular flea markets (certainly in my part of the world) does force one onto the www.  where a seemingly ever-growing legion of fakers take full advantage of their distance & anonymity. So we must tread carefully as always - Holzauge. And as for on-line auction houses they are as reliable as they can be having their business reputations to maintain but their expertise is not infallible either. So check out their return policy before committing yourself to any purchase. 

Bedford Militaria Fair here in England last Sunday was a pale shadow of its former self but dealers were there, as were us punters, and money was changing hands so there's still hope for the future and a return to something akin to normality.