News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ukrainian war medals

2 hours ago, Antonio Prieto said:

The last regulation of 20.11.2022 established the size of the ribbon bar: width - 35 mm, height - 9.5 mm.

Планка нагрудного знака являє собою металеву пластинку, обтягнуту стрічкою шовковою муаровою з поздовжніми смужками (зліва направо): жовтого кольору - 7 мм, малинового кольору - 5,5 мм, жовтого кольору - 2 мм, синього кольору - 6 мм, жовтого кольору - 2 мм, малинового кольору - 5,5 мм, жовтого кольору - 7 мм.

Розмір планки: ширина - 35 мм, висота - 9,5 мм.

Also the ribbon length - variable, width - 35 mm,

Of course, there are awards with wider ribbons, especially in the Ministry of Defense, but they established new awards in violation of existing laws and instructions, the standard for the width of the ribbon has not changed, it is still 28 mm, 35 is a violation that is not paid attention to.

I have, with all due respect, never encountered such a mess of an honours and awards system as the one that exists in Ukraine. It is going to take years to fix it!

Any more word on who is getting the Medal "For the Defence of Ukraine"?

2 hours ago, Zulu_00 said:

I have, with all due respect, never encountered such a mess of an honours and awards system as the one that exists in Ukraine. It is going to take years to fix it!

Any more word on who is getting the Medal "For the Defence of Ukraine"?

This happens because the laws are not changed in time when it is needed, various departments bypass or ignore the instructions at their discretion and instead of prohibiting them from doing this or changing the laws, they do not pay attention to the violations. This is my new article about it: https://www.ukrmilitary.com/2023/04/vidomchi-nagorody.html?m=1

As far about Medal "For the Defence of Ukraine" the process begun for both military and civilian:  https://lviv1256.com/news/viyskovykh-103-i-bryhady-teroborony-nahorodyly-vidznakoiu-za-oboronu-ukrainy/  and: https://vsim.ua/Podii/eks-lisivnika-zi-slavuti-nagorodili-medallyu-za-oboronu-ukrayini-11779697.html

On 21/05/2023 at 09:14, Ura87 said:

This happens because the laws are not changed in time when it is needed, various departments bypass or ignore the instructions at their discretion and instead of prohibiting them from doing this or changing the laws, they do not pay attention to the violations. This is my new article about it: https://www.ukrmilitary.com/2023/04/vidomchi-nagorody.html?m=1

As far about Medal "For the Defence of Ukraine" the process begun for both military and civilian:  https://lviv1256.com/news/viyskovykh-103-i-bryhady-teroborony-nahorodyly-vidznakoiu-za-oboronu-ukrainy/  and: https://vsim.ua/Podii/eks-lisivnika-zi-slavuti-nagorodili-medallyu-za-oboronu-ukrayini-11779697.html

Quite disappointing that only a few are getting it. I thought it would be a general issue campaign medal.

I noticed in the second article that Ura87 shared...the ribbon color appears to be gray instead of black. The red strips in the middle also appears much brighter.

Did they change the colors of the ribbon??

Defense of Ukraine Medal 1.jpg

Defense of Ukraine Medal 4.JPG

20 hours ago, Rocket said:

I noticed in the second article that Ura87 shared...the ribbon color appears to be gray instead of black. The red strips in the middle also appears much brighter.

Did they change the colors of the ribbon??

Defense of Ukraine Medal 1.jpg

Defense of Ukraine Medal 4.JPG

Are the both medals for civilians? Maybe it's two different medals, one for military, second for civilians.

It's the Medal "For the Defence of Ukraine" (Медаль "За оборону України") and does come in military and civilian versions. The military one has a ribbon described as dark green with a maroon central stripe and the civilian one has a grey ribbon with a maroon central stripe. It was instituted on 5 August 2022 (Decree of the President of Ukraine dated 5 August 2022 No. 559/2022 "On the award of the President of Ukraine "For the Defence of Ukraine"") and is awarded for self-sacrifice and significant personal contributions to strengthening the defence of Ukraine, the protection of the safety of the population and the interests of the state in connection with the large-scale armed aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine.

The illustration attached to the Decree shows the grey to be quite dark, so this may be an artefact of production.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ukrainian Armed Forces have awarded 14 Spanish military who are part of the Ukrainian personnel training operation in Spain.

In the presence of the Spanish Minister of Defense, Margarita Robles, the Ukrainian Defense aggregate, Colonel Serhii Vtorykh has delivered the decorations granted by the commander in chief of the Ukrainian armed forces in "name of all Ukrainians."

They have received the ‘Honor Distinction for Army Assistance’, granted by the Commander in Chief of the Ukrainian Armed Forces

The Ukrainian military aggregate highlighted in his speech that Spain "was one of the first countries to offer material help for their struggle" and "which is also among the first they offered to train our troops at the most dramatic moment for Ukraine." “Our soldiers appreciate the spirit of camaraderie, equality and human concern that reigns in the center of Toledo. Know all those present that Ukraine will never forget what our friends have done so far, or what they will do in the future. ”

Since November 2022, in which Spanish participation in this training mission was approved under the operational control of the MOPS, in the Eumam-UA operation, more than 600 military has participated. This huge effort of personnel and media are a sample of the involvement of the Spanish State with the territorial integrity of Ukraine and the defense of its population and its democratic values.

image.jpeg.bb2c1111f14dc14aed9deb4255cca1cf.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
    On 25/02/2023 at 21:26, Rocket said:

Thank you for the kind words. It's good to know he should hopefully receive some kind of recognition for his sacrifice.

Andrew-Ukraine16.thumb.jpeg.560966ca0909fc1c358be291be750fc8.jpeg

May I ask I his first name Rocket?

I’d also like to add my condolences and my wish (prayers I guess) that he receives the recognition he deserves without excessive delay. 

tony

8 hours ago, Farkas said:

May I ask I his first name Rocket?

I’d also like to add my condolences and my wish (prayers I guess) that he receives the recognition he deserves without excessive delay. 

tony

Hi Tony,

My son's name was Andrew Peters. 

Thank you for the kind words and condolences. We're still waiting on his awards to be sent. If or when we receive them...I'll be sure to share pictures of them on this thread.

Thanks.

John

Edited by Rocket

• 2 weeks later...
    On 19/05/2023 at 08:02, Ura87 said:

Hi, John. Yes, 28 mm is standart, but there is a desire to change this, so there are sometimes we have projects designs for medals with a wider ribbon. Now we have the medal "25 years of independence of Ukraine" with ribbon 35 mm.

Ura87,

Do you know what kind of metal or alloy that's used on most Ukrainian medals? I've noticed that several Ukrainian medals feel very heavy in relation to their size. Are they possibly made of sterling silver?

Thanks.

18 hours ago, Rocket said:

Ura87,

Do you know what kind of metal or alloy that's used on most Ukrainian medals? I've noticed that several Ukrainian medals feel very heavy in relation to their size. Are they possibly made of sterling silver?

Thanks.

I wouldn't expect a reply for a while. He's probably a little busy these days. However, taking a guess, given the historically wide distribution of Eastern European medals, and given the effects of a wartime economy, potentially they are made of something less precious like steel. 

On 30/06/2023 at 15:46, Rocket said:

Ura87,

Thanks.

Hi. Most medals made of bronze, but there are three medal is silver it's: Medal For Military Service to Ukraine (Медаль За військову службу Україні), Medal for Lifesaving (Медаль За врятоване життя) and Medal for work and achievement (Медаль За працю і звитягу). There are some orders in silver too.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 21/02/2023 at 13:53, Ura87 said:

This photo from first award ceremony.

FB_IMG_1677007208245.jpg

Ura87,

Can you tell me what the reverse of the medal says in both Ukrainian and English? The photo is hard to see when I enlarge it. I know the name of the legion member is engraved, but it looks like the same Ukrainian word is engraved above the recipients name.

I find it interesting that they have the Latin phrase SIMUL AD VICTORIAM at the bottom which translates to WE PRESS ON TOGETHER TO VICTORY.

Thanks!  :)

20 hours ago, Rocket said:

Ura87,

Can you tell me what the reverse of the medal says in both Ukrainian and English? The photo is hard to see when I enlarge it. I know the name of the legion member is engraved, but it looks like the same Ukrainian word is engraved above the recipients name.

I find it interesting that they have the Latin phrase SIMUL AD VICTORIAM at the bottom which translates to WE PRESS ON TOGETHER TO VICTORY.

Thanks!  :)

These are the names of the recipients.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ura87

I've been in contact with the family of another fallen legion member. He traveled to Ukraine to attend his son's funeral since he was buried over there. He sent me pics of the 2 medals they gave him for his son's service. However, he has no idea what the medals are called and what they are for. If you can assist in identifying these...I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

John

image.thumb.jpeg.576979b98dc725d454b210646ff69ab4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d852be4e39861e6f83e81bf1db4aafbe.jpeg

On 01/09/2023 at 01:01, Rocket said:

Hi Ura87

I've been in contact with the family of another fallen legion member. He traveled to Ukraine to attend his son's funeral since he was buried over there. He sent me pics of the 2 medals they gave him for his son's service. However, he has no idea what the medals are called and what they are for. If you can assist in identifying these...I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

John

image.thumb.jpeg.576979b98dc725d454b210646ff69ab4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d852be4e39861e6f83e81bf1db4aafbe.jpeg

Both medals are of the Main Directorate of Intelligence. The first is the "Honorable Distinction", the second is the "For Combat Merit" medal.

Edited by Ura87

• 3 months later...
    On 27/07/2023 at 18:08, Antonio Prieto said:

The exhibition of the new Ukrainian military decorations was completed in cooperation with the Kiev War Museum and the Museum of Knights of Tallinn.

https://epl.delfi.ee/artikkel/120172698/fotod-tallinna-ruutliordude-muuseumis-avati-ukraina-sojaliste-teenetemarkide-naitus

2a724590-da0f-11ed-8fb5-6b96350100e4.jpg?w=240
    14ff5af0-da0e-11ed-ad44-9522133ef262.jpg?w=240

Those red-black ribbons directly refers to the UPA (Ukrainian Insurgent Army) decoration – Cross of Combat Merit (Хрест Бойової Заслуги).

But there is no explanation about use of these ribbons on modern Cross of Military Merit use.

Edited by mboro
    grammar

• 3 weeks later...

Ura87,

Do you have any information on this particular medal called the "Defender of Ukraine" medal? Who issues the medal? What are the award eligibility requirements? 

The medal and the ribbon with the gold gilt is beautiful!

Thanks.

John 

Ukraine Medal - Defender of Ukraine.JPG