News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ukrainian war medals

On 22/02/2023 at 13:53, Ura87 said:

This medal is rarely received, usually the wounded receive other awards, such as the "Defender of Ukraine" or "For Military Service to Ukraine" medals. Most of the dead are awarded the Order "For Courage" of the 3rd class.

Thank you for the information. I was asking because my wife and I were informed earlier this week that my 28 year son was killed in action while serving with the International Legion.

John

1 hour ago, Rocket said:

Thank you for the information. I was asking because my wife and I were informed earlier this week that my 28 year son was killed in action while serving with the International Legion.

John

John I'm so sorry for your loss. My deepest, deepest condolences. My DMs are always open if you need to talk to someone. Heroyam slava.

38 minutes ago, Zulu_00 said:

John I'm so sorry for your loss. My deepest, deepest condolences. My DMs are always open if you need to talk to someone. Heroyam slava.

Thanks for the kind words...I appreciate it.

On 24/02/2023 at 16:50, Rocket said:

John

It is very sad, your son is a hero, he will forever remain in our hearts. Most likely, he will be awarded the Order of Courage.

15 minutes ago, Ura87 said:

It is very sad, your son is a hero, he will forever remain in our hearts. Most likely, he will be awarded the Order of Courage.

Thank you for the kind words. It's good to know he should hopefully receive some kind of recognition for his sacrifice.

Andrew-Ukraine16.thumb.jpeg.560966ca0909fc1c358be291be750fc8.jpeg

1 minute ago, Rocket said:

Thank you for the kind words. It's good to know he should hopefully receive some kind of recognition for his sacrifice.

Andrew-Ukraine16.thumb.jpeg.560966ca0909fc1c358be291be750fc8.jpeg

He will likely get three medals at least. Order of Courage III Class, Medal "For the Defence of Ukraine" and Medal "For Our Freedom and Yours" (the NGO one) alongside his medals from his previous service that you've described to me privately.

The public medal "For the defense of Kyiv and the Kyiv region" (За оборону Києва та Київської області). On the reverse - Kyiv, Bucha, Irpin, Gostomel, Borodyanka, Makariv, Ivankiv, Vasylkiv, Chornobyl (Київ, Буча, Ірпінь, Гостомель, Бородянка, Макарів, Іванків, Васильків, Чорнобиль). There are two different types of the medal with different ribbons and the last city on the reverse - Chornobyl (Чорнобиль) / Brovary (Бровари)

311931712_3388249774830988_1816169304759656093_n.jpg

311983650_3388249768164322_388545108717936735_n.jpg

3944480974_w640_h640_znak-otlichiya-za.webp

3944481005_w640_h640_znak-otlichiya-za.webp

3944480839_w640_h640_znak-otlichiya-za.webp

Edited by Ura87

32 minutes ago, Ura87 said:

The public medal "For the defense of Kyiv and the Kyiv region" (За оборону Києва та Київської області). On the reverse - Kyiv, Bucha, Irpin, Gostomel, Borodyanka, Makariv, Ivankiv, Vasylkiv, Chornobyl (Київ, Буча, Ірпінь, Гостомель, Бородянка, Макарів, Іванків, Васильків, Чорнобиль). There are two different types of the medal with different ribbons and the last city on the reverse - Chornobyl (Чорнобиль) / Brovary (Бровари)

311931712_3388249774830988_1816169304759656093_n.jpg

311983650_3388249768164322_388545108717936735_n.jpg

3944480974_w640_h640_znak-otlichiya-za.webp

3944481005_w640_h640_znak-otlichiya-za.webp

3944480839_w640_h640_znak-otlichiya-za.webp

What do you mean by public medal? As in private purchase? Or awarded by an NGO?

4 hours ago, Zulu_00 said:

What do you mean by public medal? As in private purchase? Or awarded by an NGO?

This was done by a group of non-official people for all those who defended this region.

Hero of Sumy

https://rama.com.ua/zahisniki-sum-otrimali-nagorodi/

Google translated:

Award of the executive committee of the Sumy City Council "Defender of Ukraine. The Hero of the City of Sumy", which was founded in early November 2022, was awarded to eight residents of the Sumy urban territorial community, who from February 24 held back the enemy at the borders of the city with weapons in their hands

Among the awarded are Kostyantyn SYPCHENKO, Mykhailo SVISTUN, Pavlo SIRYK, Andriy TARAN, Yevhen SKOROBAGATSKY, Andriy TIMOFIEV. Oleksandr Masyuk and Andrii Gonchar were awarded posthumously.

"Defender of Ukraine. The hero of the city of Sumy" will be awarded "for personal courage and selfless actions, for labor achievements, demonstrated in the protection of state sovereignty, territorial integrity, in strengthening the defense capability and security of Ukraine."

The award is awarded based on the decision of the executive committee.

It is made of gilded brass in the form of an equilateral cross with extended legs filled with green enamel. A round medallion is placed in the center of the cross, where the coat of arms of the city of Sumy is located on a background of white enamel. The coat of arms is encircled by a ribbon of green enamel with the inscription: "Defender of Ukraine. Hero of the city of Sumy".

A dress insignia, which is a scaled-down copy of the award, will also be awarded, allowing a miniature copy to be worn.

At least one of the recipients is featured in this film (СУМИ. Ми дали їм під дих, starting at 1:01):

geroj-sumi1.jpeg

geroj-sumi.jpeg

Edited by RedMaestro

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

First medal pic:

Cross of Valour (Хрест доблесті) - first one I've seen!

Red ribbon with green edges: Military Cross (Воєнний хрест) - again, first actual one I've seen.

The 2 stars beside it are the Badge for Exemplary Service (Нагрудний знак За зразкову службу)

Next medal pic:

2 specimens of the Medal "For Assistance to the Armed Forces of Ukraine" (Медаль "За сприяння Збройним Силам України")

Then the Badge of Honour (Відзнака Знак пошани)

Thanks for some good images, Antonio.

• 4 weeks later...
    6 hours ago, Megan said:

Another of the city/regional awards. I would think. Thank you for sharing... and good to see that you are still around, Ura87.

Perhaps you are right, but the document says that the award is from the Chief of the Kharkiv Garrison, so I don't know if it's a regional award or a military one.

Ura87,

I have a question I was hoping you could answer. I've noticed that several modern Ukrainian medals appear to have the same 28mm wide ribbon. Is the 28mm wide ribbon the standard for all Ukrainian medals? 

Thanks.

John

On 18/05/2023 at 00:40, Rocket said:

Ura87,

I have a question I was hoping you could answer. I've noticed that several modern Ukrainian medals appear to have the same 28mm wide ribbon. Is the 28mm wide ribbon the standard for all Ukrainian medals? 

Thanks.

John

Hi, John. Yes, 28 mm is standart, but there is a desire to change this, so there are sometimes we have projects designs for medals with a wider ribbon. Now we have the medal "25 years of independence of Ukraine" with ribbon 35 mm.

9 hours ago, Ura87 said:

Hi, John. Yes, 28 mm is standart, but there is a desire to change this, so there are sometimes we have projects designs for medals with a wider ribbon. Now we have the medal "25 years of independence of Ukraine" with ribbon 35 mm.

Thank you for the explanation of the ribbon widths...I greatly appreciate it! 🙂

The last regulation of 20.11.2022 established the size of the ribbon bar: width - 35 mm, height - 9.5 mm.

Планка нагрудного знака являє собою металеву пластинку, обтягнуту стрічкою шовковою муаровою з поздовжніми смужками (зліва направо): жовтого кольору - 7 мм, малинового кольору - 5,5 мм, жовтого кольору - 2 мм, синього кольору - 6 мм, жовтого кольору - 2 мм, малинового кольору - 5,5 мм, жовтого кольору - 7 мм.

Розмір планки: ширина - 35 мм, висота - 9,5 мм.

Also the ribbon length - variable, width - 35 mm,