News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ukrainian war medals

15 minutes ago, Megan said:

Why not just continue discussing them here? Although interested in the topic I'm not going to join Facebook just to read your group...

It's just an option to make the subject accessible to more people than just the GMIC community.

Are there a lot of medal enthusiasts there? Maybe it is worth a visit after all... not that I am a fan of social media at all.

The article posted earlier was very interesting. Plenty of food for thought and quite illunminating on the decidedly 'random' way in which Ukranian awards seem to have developed since independence. I'm still trying to make head or tail of them... now over 200 pages of notes!

51 minutes ago, Megan said:

Are there a lot of medal enthusiasts there? Maybe it is worth a visit after all... not that I am a fan of social media at all.

The article posted earlier was very interesting. Plenty of food for thought and quite illunminating on the decidedly 'random' way in which Ukranian awards seem to have developed since independence. I'm still trying to make head or tail of them... now over 200 pages of notes!

There is medal groups for every conceivable medallic interest. It's where I get most of my information.

55 minutes ago, Megan said:

You should publish those notes and make it easier for the rest of us!

It's still growing... got the State Awards done (except new ones appear), some Ministry of Defence and some Ministry of Internal Affairs. Still hunting other ministry awards and then there are all the cities, etc.

There will be a PDF eventually. I may even investigate print on demand for those who prefer a 'dead tree' book. That way you don't have the expense of a print run and the real advantage is that it never goes out of print! And you can add new stuff when it appears, just change the master PDF.

Are the Facebook medal groups easy to find? Maybe I shall try it next year.

2 hours ago, Megan said:

It's still growing... got the State Awards done (except new ones appear), some Ministry of Defence and some Ministry of Internal Affairs. Still hunting other ministry awards and then there are all the cities, etc.

There will be a PDF eventually. I may even investigate print on demand for those who prefer a 'dead tree' book. That way you don't have the expense of a print run and the real advantage is that it never goes out of print! And you can add new stuff when it appears, just change the master PDF.

Are the Facebook medal groups easy to find? Maybe I shall try it next year.

Go on to Facebook, search "medals" and join the groups and like the pages!

- Medals of the Russo-Ukrainian War

- The Rhodesian Medal Group

- British Military Medal Collector's Group

- Medal Collecting

- British Police Long Service Medal Collectors Group

Those are some good groups. 

The Facebook group is already paying dividends. Over 50 members now and members are contributing medals that haven't appeared on this thread yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Медаль «За сприяння Збройним Силам України»
    Medal for Assistance to the Ukrainian Armed Forces
    (official Ministry of Defence):

No photo description available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medal "For sacrifice and love to Ukraine"
    Medal of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine

I recognise the Medal "For Assistance to the Armed Forces of Ukraine" - it's already on my website.ukraine-republic087-01.jpg.7754944fcb2bbb6592c022ee87366cd6.jpgukraine-republic087-02.jpg.666e31ce0183dd0c7bdff96edf16e9f0.jpg

Instituted on 21 May 2008[1], this award was discontinued in the 2012 reforms and eventually reinstated on 9 December 2015[2]. The same insignia was used throughout.

The insignia consists of an 8-pointed rayed star, 38mm in diameter.  In the centre of the obverse there is a gilt, red-enamelled cross resting on a gilt wreath, this has a central roundel enamelled blue bearing the Trident national symbol. The reverse is plain, inscribed ЗА СПРИЯННЯ ЗБРОЙНІ СИЛИ УКРАЇНИ [FOR ASSISTANCE TO THE ARMED FORCES OF UKRAINE].

[1] Order of the Minister of Defence of Ukraine № 218 of 21 May 2008.

[2] Order of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine № 705 of 9 December 2015 “On Amendments to the Order of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine of 11 March 2013 № 165”

13 hours ago, Zulu_00 said:

Unknown medal awarded to Chambliss Johnson. A former US Marine wounded in Ukraine. Any information would be appreciated. I will provide any updates if my mates in his unit get back to me. 

The award document says it's a medal "To the Defender of Ukraine. For honor! For Glory! For the People!".

On 17/12/2022 at 00:21, Zulu_00 said:

Unknown medal awarded to Chambliss Johnson. A former US Marine wounded in Ukraine. Any information would be appreciated. I will provide any updates if my mates in his unit get back to me. 

Screenshot_20221216-221904_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20221216-221933_Instagram.jpg

It's commercial medal. This medal using different organisations.

Badge "For honor and courage city of Stryi" (За честь та мужність м. Стрий).

2.jpg

4.jpg

Commemorative medal "For the defense of the hero city Kharkiv" (За оборону міста-героя Харків). There are different types of the medal - silver medal and not silver, and different documents, who awards it.

срібна схід.jpg

1670599268097.jpg

місто-герой.jpeg

угрупування військ.jpg

штаб оборони.jpg

Many units set their own, mostly brigades, establish their own awards and badges, it's against the law, however they do it. The commemorative badge of the 128th Mountain Assault Brigade.

download.php.jpg

1320_1457690757.jpg

post-39807-0-17091900-1447503643_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Ura87

The 37th Separate Motorized Infantry Battalion (37-й окремий мотопіхотний батальйон) medal. Reverse Shoulder to shoulder to victory. Participant of ATO (Пліч о пліч до перемоги. Учаснику АТО).

116301055.jpg

116301053.jpg

116301052.jpg

87c610e47aa8ce745d3d6ed3e6308899.jpg

Edited by Ura87

Badge of Ivano-Frankivsk Regional State Administration and Regional Council "For Combat Achievement" (За бойову звитягу). The same is written on the reverse as in the document "Badge of Ivano-Frankivsk Regional State Administration and Regional Council" (Відзнака Івано-Франківської обласної державної адміністрації та обласної ради).

12087648_882128318503023_9075995112878516622_o.jpg

14707870_542716399254578_1967653223324715138_o.jpg

3ef5d3e351c37920a479c1e6db2d39f8.jpg