News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian order document 1897

Hello!

I recently bought some documents belonging to a Norwegian-Swedish business man named Even Christian Gjestvang. 

Among the documents are this one from Bulgaria. Is it a document for a Civil merit order? 4th class?

Bulgarisk orden.jpg

Edited by JohanH
    Spelling

Mostly correct, except for his occupation, which is listed as "Writer in Stokholm" on the document.

However, google points to several articles which list him as an industrialist:

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_Christian_Gjestvang

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/sbl/Mobil/Artikel/13085

His business was printing machines and book printers, perhaps people in Bulgarian awards department got him confused with a writer.  

Swedist Industrialist.jpg

Edited by new world

Even Gjestvang did many things in his life. He was mainly a business man in the paper industry but also imported cars as early as 1903! He was also general consul of Persia in Sweden which gave him the order of the Lion and the Sun. 

If the document states him as a writer it must be that he got the order for a book about Bulgaria that he apparently wrote in 1896. 

If the document say Sven it must be a spelling error. His name was Even. 

Found an answer to why he's listed as a writer:

"G also published a small book about Bulgaria and a statistical compilation about Sweden's industries in the 1890s, as well as appearing in foreign magazines, mainly with a series of articles about Scandinavian printers in The British printer."

That's why he received this Bulgarian award - for writing a book about their country.

9 minutes ago, JohanH said:

If the document say Sven it must be a spelling error. His name was Even. 

Sven is a common Scandinavian name, someone in awards office made this easy mistake.

Great document to a famous person! Congrats to new owner!

Edited by new world

23 minutes ago, new world said:

Found an answer to why he's listed as a writer:

"G also published a small book about Bulgaria and a statistical compilation about Sweden's industries in the 1890s, as well as appearing in foreign magazines, mainly with a series of articles about Scandinavian printers in The British printer."

That's why he received this Bulgarian award - for writing a book about their country.

Sven is a common Scandinavian name, someone in awards office made this easy mistake.

Great document to a famous person! Congrats to new owner!

Yes, that's exactly what I wrote. He made a book about Bulgaria.

Sven is a Swedish name, the Norwegian form is Svein. Gjestvang was born in Norway and Even is a fairly common name in there.  

I don't know much about cyrillic, but I have always thought that S looked like a C in cyrillic.

So Sven would be something like Свен?

It is a very nice group of documents to a quite important person. Unfortunately there are three documents missing which the seller didn't have. They only had seven of the documents and as far as I know Gjestvang received ten medals/orders. 

Edited by JohanH

6 minutes ago, dedehansen said:

Hej JohanH,

I sa this group as well for sale, but have refrained from it. Here is the reason why:

https://digitaltmuseum.no/011012761388/portrett-av-even-christian-gjestvang-1853-1941-kise-mellom-nes-hedmark

Kind regards

Andreas

That is an great photo. Thanks for the link!

I wish I could find that miniature-chain! :)

Do you mean the part about reproductions in the museum archive? Or that you think the documents belong in the museum?

I support New World comments regarding the Document

Here is a Document for the Grand Cross from the same period signed by Prince Ferdinand

ferddoc.jpg

ferddoc1.jpg

On 31/08/2022 at 15:06, nickstrenk said:

Yes,it is.You determined it correctly.

Thanks

This is the awarded person

and this is the Grand Cross -1st Class

The Officer Class from this period should have the same design -with the domed crown -it is the first model

Vsevolod Koniar1.jpg

01.3.JPG

010.JPG

On 31/08/2022 at 04:37, JohanH said:

Hello!

I recently bought some documents belonging to a Norwegian-Swedish business man named Even Christian Gjestvang. 

Among the documents are this one from Bulgaria. Is it a document for a Civil merit order? 4th class?

Bulgarisk orden.jpg

• 2 weeks later...