News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

36 minutes ago, I_♥_Police said:

Very interesting. Thanks for posting and first example I have seen.

On a side note, someone has changed the Ministry of Defence Police page on Wikipedia to a new logo with CiiR however it has been changed back so I assume this may be 'fan made'? I have not seen anything on Force twitters or facebook announcing they have changed cap badges which would likely be done. The Met would surely be one of the first but this does not seem to have happened yet.

I understand that this is a prototype, yet to be formally authorised. So I guess Gloucestershire are the first? 

161CA658-C801-455E-8BB5-7FB566897FB3.jpeg

I have a number of "still" period photos of Metpol. bobbies doing duty at the 1953 Coronation of EIIR and they are all still wearing GVIR helmet plates etc.

The Met. at the moment have significant organisational problems which are not going to go away any time soon, and that will keep their top team busy. Also, I'll wager that they will have thousands of new unissued EIIR badged items of headgear in store and I can't see them ditching all that in to-days depressed economic climate. They may not in fact be the first to change. I'd suggest that one of the smaller forces is probably more likely to win the race. 

In a conversation I had with a Metpol. Assistant Commissioner several years ago, he told me that any force wide change of a particular item of uniform took on average three years to achieve. It's impossible to do in the short term because of finance, supply chain issues and the sheer logistics involved. 

Dave. 

19 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

I understand that this is a prototype, yet to be formally authorised. So I guess Gloucestershire are the first? 

161CA658-C801-455E-8BB5-7FB566897FB3.jpeg

I must admit, I've never heard of such a unit. This looks like something akin to a privately sponsored "challenge coin" design or similar. I would doubt it ever being officially approved. The current helmet badge design for the Met. is approved by the college of heralds and does not include the wreath. So, unless they re-hash the whole design and submit it for approval it's probably a non-starter.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

• 2 weeks later...

So this is today on a Gloucestershire Police vehicle, I’d risk saying the first in the Country. But don’t forget they have the responsibility for policing Highgrove House..

6EB4E1DD-5FB6-48F1-B0B8-434BF7C7FF5B.thumb.jpeg.b4d719e35e6d8668195ae7d5b9132502.jpeg

Edited by H Division

Gloucestershire were the first to produce and wear badges featuring the Cipher of the King Edward VIII. Only to find that they had to bin them all following his abdication. They have obviously not learned the lessons of the past. And of course, protecting Highgrove House is a really serious business!

Dave.

29 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

I noticed that all the Royal Family in uniform were similarly adorned, including the state trumpeters etc. No change there then!

Dave. 

Curious, isn’t wasn’t it!

I’m sure there must be a reason, as nothing happens by accident in the Royal household! 

23 minutes ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Curious, isn’t wasn’t it!

I’m sure there must be a reason, as nothing happens by accident in the Royal household! 

Apparently, once appointed as a Personal aide-de-camp you can continue to wear the insignia for the rest of your life not the Sovereigns….

You can also wear more then one if appointed by another Sovereign, it appears.

Lord Mountbatten wearing GVI & E11R with Charles.

4FAC1C03-4177-444D-ACB3-249FB74AE9BB.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

I've read that Mountbatten was totally infatuated by badges and medals and if he became aware that a medal was being distributed (anywhere), he fired off a letter asking that he be sent one, whether he was entitled to one or not!  Look at the medals he is wearing on the left-hand side of his medal bar, he has them piled up on top of each other he has so many.

If he were alive today, he'd be the sort to collect tie tacks and challenge coins.

Dave.

• 4 months later...
    34 minutes ago, I_♥_Police said:

I personally don't know of any other force that has given out new badges with the new crown yet other than this? I wonder if Notts has issued new cap badges and helmet plates yet?

Not sure of any other U.K. forces, but Canada appear to have started to introduce new badges as well.

C600166D-E5EE-4D78-9BEA-5772FEBA9C25.jpeg

21 minutes ago, ashley58 said:

I thought that in a recent interview it was stated the Charles (being eco friendly etc) wanted all existing stocks (of medals+) to be used before new ones were to be struck?

You will see that the Winnipeg Police "notice" makes clear that badges and other items will be replaced through attrition. In other words current stocks will all be used before new ones are introduced.

Dave. 

On 23/03/2023 at 19:40, ashley58 said:

I thought that in a recent interview it was stated the Charles (being eco friendly etc) wanted all existing stocks (of medals+) to be used before new ones were to be struck?

Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, seem to have opted for a more simpler design. 

514CC6B1-D02D-46C5-858F-4332A9CBFFB4.jpeg

2 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, seem to have opted for a more simpler design. 

514CC6B1-D02D-46C5-858F-4332A9CBFFB4.jpeg

There is already a thread on this under "New Title for Hampshire Constabulary". The design was first "launched" in November 2022. That said they are apparently not changing the headdress badges. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

1 hour ago, ashley58 said:

well i suppose items like vinyl stickers for vehicles etc are ordered as and when needed rather than kept in stock, as apposed to metal insignias.

Yes I would imagine they are. I would also suspect, that they are pretty cheapish to produce?

Although having said that, I hear from a military source, that units within the British army, will begin re badging on the 6th May of  those present for the Coronation, and the next day for those not. That is going to be a massive undertaking, I would imagine. I would expect that we will begin to start seeing police badges, with the King's crown within the near future. Whether there will be a mass rebadging mind, I suspect will depend of the force. But as we no longer have a Queen as head of state, I wonder whether there will be any legal requirement, to update such things, before we see some sort of stated case, with some solicitor trying his luck, about an officer not being in the correct uniform or some other such piffle. 

Edited by Cerrig-Man

19 minutes ago, Cerrig-Man said:

Yes I would imagine they are. I would also suspect, that they are pretty cheapish to produce?

Although having said that, I hear from a military source, that units within the British army, will begin re badging on the 6th May of  those present for the Coronation, and the next day for those not. That is going to be a massive undertaking, I would imagine. I would expect that we will begin to start seeing police badges, with the King's crown within the near future. Whether there will be a mass rebadging mind, I suspect will depend of the force. But as we no longer have a Queen as head of state, I wonder whether there will be any legal requirement, to update such things, before we see some sort of stated case, with some solicitor trying his luck, about an officer not being in the correct uniform or some other such piffle. 

There are actually a number of stated cases already on the statute book which touch upon whether a bobby is correctly dressed or not. None of those cases favoured the appellant. Most relate to the (then) newly introduced drink drive legislation whereby a constable in uniform had power to demand a breath test from a motorist. The basis for the appeal being that the officer was not wearing a helmet/cap at the time of the request. It was held that despite the absence of headgear he/she WAS in uniform. So, the fact that the wrong Sovereign's Crown/cipher was being worn will not wash with the courts.

Dave.    

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

On 23/03/2023 at 19:40, ashley58 said:

This has certainly been mooted about. But how true it is, I cannot say.

But what is apparent, is that this certainly isn’t the case with regards, to the military which are set to rebadge next month.

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2023/03/his-majesty-the-kings-coronation-heralds-new-era-for-british-army-cap-badges/

• 2 weeks later...

The Metropolitan Police have to-day confirmed that officers policing the Coronation will NOT have replacement insignia bearing the King's cipher etc. The force say they have been instructed that all stocks of uniform featuring the EIIR insignia must be used and depleted before new badges are purchased.

Dave. 

• 3 weeks later...