News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Charles III Coronation Medal

The 1953 coronation medal and the 1977 jubilee medal were divvied out on a restricted basis to the organisations who were entitled to receive it. 

Whether you attended the 1953 coronation or were on duty in connection with it, did not guarantee that you got a medal. Many did not.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

There will without a doubt be a Coronation Medal, however, given King Charles’s suggestion that the Coronation will be a vastly scaled down version, to that of his late Mothers. I would hazard that the distribution of medals will mirror that, and the medal will only be issued to the great and good, those that are physically present and perhaps a smattering of a few per regiment, constabulary, etc.

We wait with baited breath……

Another burning question, is when will we see a change in effigy to existing medals. When will the first C111R police LSGC’s start to be issued? 

Certainly with medals issued to the armed forces that bear the monarchs effigy I suspect that his portrait will be replaced on  them ASAP as he is  C-in-C, a role he takes extremely seriously, as to civilian award such as the ISM that may take somewhat longer; based on his mother's precedent, her portrait was changed on Military awards slightly prior to the change of effigy on coins.

Paul

4 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

There will without a doubt be a Coronation Medal, however, given King Charles’s suggestion that the Coronation will be a vastly scaled down version, to that of his late Mothers. I would hazard that the distribution of medals will mirror that, and the medal will only be issued to the great and good, those that are physically present and perhaps a smattering of a few per regiment, constabulary, etc.

We wait with baited breath……

Another burning question, is when will we see a change in effigy to existing medals. When will the first C111R police LSGC’s start to be issued? 

It's worth bearing in mind that there will be a load of PLS&GC medals etc. in the pipeline which will have been prepared ready to send to forces by the various Govt. Depts. who have delegated powers to award them, so I think that for some months bobbies who are in line to get their medal will get an EIIR version.

Dave.  

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

On 26/09/2022 at 13:29, Cerrig-Man said:

Any conjecture as to whether they'll indeed be a Coronation medal and if so what the criteria for such an award could be? 

I personally think that certainly for the Police it should be every officer of five years by the date of coronation, however I fear they wont do that due to costs.

On 27/09/2022 at 16:12, I_♥_Police said:

I personally think that certainly for the Police it should be every officer of five years by the date of coronation, however I fear they wont do that due to costs.

I would imagine there won't be any further jubilee medals for many years. So maybe they'll do one last mass issue medal? 

4 hours ago, Cerrig-Man said:

I would imagine there won't be any further jubilee medals for many years. So maybe they'll do one last mass issue medal? 

I really do hope so. I think theres a good chance of it, however who am I to say. Too soon I would have thought at the moment. For the jubilee, they authorised the wearing of ribbons before the jubilee medals were given out, but theres no mention of anything like that yet and it hasnt even been announced.

I think there will be a restricted issue of the Coronation medal along the lines of the 1953 Coronation medal and the 1977 Jubilee medal.

The King has told those involved in organising the Coronation that he expects it to be much reduced in comparison with his Mother's, having regard to the serious economic difficulties facing many people.

Dave. 

23 minutes ago, I_♥_Police said:

I really do hope so. I think theres a good chance of it, however who am I to say. Too soon I would have thought at the moment. For the jubilee, they authorised the wearing of ribbons before the jubilee medals were given out, but theres no mention of anything like that yet and it hasnt even been announced.

To be honest, I did briefly contemplate the possibility, that I could get 3 medals in one year. But whichever way the Coronation medal criteria may go, I’ll be long retired by the 3rd June 2023. 

8 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

I think there will be a restricted issue of the Coronation medal along the lines of the 1953 Coronation medal and the 1977 Jubilee medal.

The King has told those involved in organising the Coronation that he expects it to be much reduced in comparison with his Mother's, having regard to the serious economic difficulties facing many people.

Dave. 

I have to agree with you Dave.

Especially when you take into account the shocking amounts of Platinum Jubilee Medals that appeared and continue to appear on EBay and the like, some of which before even the official qualification date, shoe how little regard some have for them, perhaps they should only issue them to people who actually want one? 

On 02/10/2022 at 18:25, Dave Wilkinson said:

Dave. 

Will be interesting to see if the Coronation Medal effigy is uncrowned.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    On 02/11/2022 at 17:54, I_♥_Police said:

Nothing unfortunately and a Google search reveals little. Shame really.

Saw this which, I thought might be of interest? 

“King Charles III is the oldest monarch to assume the British throne at 73 years old.”

The reason why, I mention this is that I have heard rumours that the 8th September might be the qualification date for the Coronation Medal as apposed to the 6th May……

21 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Saw this which, I thought might be of interest? 

“King Charles III is the oldest monarch to assume the British throne at 73 years old.”

The reason why, I mention this is that I have heard rumours that the 8th September might be the qualification date for the Coronation Medal as apposed to the 6th May……

neverknew either of those things but good to know. I wonder if everyone with five years will get one though or its just those involved in it? I will be pretty sore if I dont get one, haha.

15 hours ago, I_♥_Police said:

neverknew either of those things but good to know. I wonder if everyone with five years will get one though or its just those involved in it? I will be pretty sore if I dont get one, haha.

Will certainly be interesting to see what the criteria is.

I love a good conspiracy theory 😆, so here’s one for you…

Has King Charles decided to have a more reduced Coronation, because he only intends to reign for a few years before handing over the William……

Could we see a repeat of the 1902 -1911 medal situation…. 

There are all sorts of rumours and conjecture bouncing round the place. But like with the Platinum Jubilee Medal, whomever is responsible for creating the criteria and the medal itself, they continue to play their cards very close to their chests. Which is somewhat frustrating, agreed. But none the less all will be revealed in due course, I am of no doubt. 

• 4 weeks later...

I really hope its the same criteria as the last jubilee medal. Will be miffed if I dont get one, haha. It seems certain now that no Covid medal is forthcoming. Surely if there was one then this would have been announced during the New years honours for those individuals who specifically went above and beyond towards it. it also looks like a general one will not be issued either sadly.

for everyone of the standard five year criteria would you say or just a specially selected bunch?

On 02/01/2023 at 08:50, bigjarofwasps said:

I’m hearing rumours that Worcestershire Mint have the contract. But no word yet on any criteria.

8 hours ago, Zulu_00 said:

Word on the street is military tailors are gearing up for a mass issued coronation medal