News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Charles III Coronation Medal

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    On 03/03/2023 at 09:13, Nick said:

Don't we all love a W@nker Medal 🤣

Ha,ha,ha but it is interesting how quickly this medal was conceived and produced, whereas there is still no sign of the official one, or even any confirmation as to what the criteria is going to be!

• 3 weeks later...
    4 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Government 'considering options' for coronation medal…..

https://www.forces.net/royals/government-considering-options-coronation-medal

A2A09995-8245-43C6-A5DA-74DC396AD6A2.jpeg

Do you think this could indicate good news or bad news? Behind the scenes, they must have a criteria and how could that criteria be any different than the last Jubilee medal. Heres hoping and praying anyway hahaha.

Leaving it a bit late, aren't they?

The event's only, what, 3 weeks away.

Monst such 'commemoratvie' medals are instituted 6-12 months before the event they are supposed to celebrate.

31 minutes ago, Megan said:

Leaving it a bit late, aren't they?

The event's only, what, 3 weeks away.

Monst such 'commemoratvie' medals are instituted 6-12 months before the event they are supposed to celebrate.

I suppose so. I guess things go wrong sometimes. What is your personal opinion on whether or not they will be issued and the criteria? I think in that press release they more or less said that they will be late, whatever form they will take.

On 14/04/2023 at 19:00, I_♥_Police said:

I suppose so. I guess things go wrong sometimes. What is your personal opinion on whether or not they will be issued and the criteria? I think in that press release they more or less said that they will be late, whatever form they will take.

Appears, they’ll be at least 6000, assuming all those present, are to be awarded one?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/charles-iii-ap-british-london-harry-b2320602.html?amp

To put a bit of background to this... Coronation Medals have generally been limited to those involved in the ceremony, Jubilee medlas have been more widely distributed - especially since the UK Golden Jubilee Medal was issued to all service personnel with 5 years of service on the anniversary of the accession, widened to include emergency serivice personnel for succeeding jubilees.

Useless and footnote facts:

The monarch (i.e., the person getting crowned) doesn't wear their own coronation medal, or any subsequent jubilee ones..

Princess Anne (The Princess Royal) didn't actually receive her mother's coronation medal at the time although the then Prince Charles did. Aged 3, she kicked up quite a fuss... and subsequently has added it retrospectively to her medal bar!

1 hour ago, Megan said:

To put a bit of background to this... Coronation Medals have generally been limited to those involved in the ceremony, Jubilee medlas have been more widely distributed - especially since the UK Golden Jubilee Medal was issued to all service personnel with 5 years of service on the anniversary of the accession, widened to include emergency serivice personnel for succeeding jubilees.

In 1953, police forces in England & Wales each provided a mutual aid contingent to assist the Metropolitan Police in respect of the policing of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth. The Liverpool City Police mutual aid contingent consisted of 181 members of the City Police.

The allocation of Coronation medals given to the Chief Constable of Liverpool for distribution to his men was 118 medals. The allocation to each force was based upon the authorised establishment of the force, NOT on the number of men sent to assist in policing the Coronation.

Each Chief Constable decided who would get a medal. Attendance at the Coronation was not a deciding factor. I have a complete list of the Liverpool men who were awarded the 1953 Coronation medal and of the 181 who actually went to London, only 25 received a medal.

So, certainly in respect of Liverpool Police, the majority of the awarded medals went to individuals who had no connection with the ceremony itself. Even if the Chief Constable had wanted to give each man that went to London a medal, he'd have been unable to do so simply because the allocation did not allow him to, and I suspect that was the case in respect of all of the police forces involved.

Dave.

It certainly is a very interesting subject!

I assume the same situation, played out with regards the allocation of silver jubilee medals? 

One thing that does seem unusual, is the fact that with 2 weeks to go, the powers that be would have us believe that no medal or indeed ribbon has been confirmed, surely something like this would have been created/decided upon years ago??

Also why there is such uncertainty as to the criteria, again it’s not like they didn’t know this event would happen at some point?

1 hour ago, bigjarofwasps said:

It certainly is a very interesting subject!

I assume the same situation, played out with regards the allocation of silver jubilee medals? 

One thing that does seem unusual, is the fact that with 2 weeks to go, the powers that be would have us believe that no medal or indeed ribbon has been confirmed, surely something like this would have been created/decided upon years ago??

Also why there is such uncertainty as to the criteria, again it’s not like they didn’t know this event would happen at some point?

Yes, the same criteria was indeed applied to the 1977 Jubilee Medal allocation. Again, the allocation was calculated on the basis of the authorised establishment of the force. At that time Merseyside Police had an establishment of about 4,500.

As with the 1953 coronation medals, the Chief Constable decided who got one. Most of the recipients had joined a constituent Merseyside force either in 1952, just before or just after 1952. Shown below is a list of those who got the medal. Interestingly, it also includes civilian staff.

Dave. 

Merseyside Police 1977 Medal Roll 1..JPG

DSCF1413 (2).JPG

DSCF1414 (2).JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

• 2 weeks later...
    17 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

I’ll just leave these here…

5BE8918B-C5AB-4D6F-89CE-AB6D44C59ED8.jpeg

So will emergency services people get it who arent involved in the coronation because they are on leave but DO have five years service get it?

53 minutes ago, I_♥_Police said:

So will emergency services people get it who arent involved in the coronation because they are on leave but DO have five years service get it?

My understanding is that if your a serving officer (with 5 years service) on Saturday, you’ll qualify. Regardless of if your on leave or at the parade or not 👍

Edited by bigjarofwasps