News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

If anyone has a copy or reasonably (inexpensive) priced 1908 Jubilee medal for Auslander or the Bavarian Luitpold 1910 Agricultural Jubilee medal, please let me know, by all means!

Edited by filfoster

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Well, no one looking at this old thread will care much, but just this morning, the Bavarian 1910 Agricultural Jubilee medal came up on ebay at a reasonable price, so....I will soon swap out the 'ringer' placeholder medal. 

One at a time, I will make it 'alles korrect'.

3 hours ago, filfoster said:

UPDATE: Well, no one looking at this old thread will care much, but just this morning, the Bavarian 1910 Agricultural Jubilee medal came up on ebay at a reasonable price, so....I will soon swap out the 'ringer' placeholder medal. 

One at a time, I will make it 'alles korrect'.

Well I'm afraid, to me, non of it is correct. To replicate a medal bar, that at some time in the future could be passed on as a genuine piece is sacrilege.

Sorry, but just my opinion.  

19 hours ago, Mike Huxley said:

Well I'm afraid, to me, non of it is correct. To replicate a medal bar, that at some time in the future could be passed on as a genuine piece is sacrilege.

Sorry, but just my opinion.  

Respectfully, no serious collector would be fooled by my replications. The quality of the materials and the construction of the originals will certainly put them apart. There is no good reason, in my opinion, to deny anyone who has the interest and the means, to enjoy having a well made replica of historical clothing, equipment or decorations. It is a hobby unto itself and of course, everyone should decry any attempts to defraud anyone. That's what makes the study and examination of historical relics important and rewarding.

17 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

I agree, I've produced a couple of medal bars to replicate lost family pieces.

Good for you! That's a great thing to do. 

I understand Old Contemptible's position and it's shared by more than a few, but the older I get, the less patience I have with the 'if it's not real, you can't have it' mindset. That would mean that only very rich, connected collectors could have fine examples of rare or hard to find pieces. That would deny us 'hoi polloi' any chance to own well made facsimiles of the things many of us have dreamt of having since childhood. That seems very mean spirited indeed. 

NO ONE WANTS FRAUD OR FRAUDSTERS! There is a very great difference between producing well made, accurate copies and copies that are manipulated with the intent to deceive. 

On 11/10/2023 at 23:20, VtwinVince said:

I agree, I've produced a couple of medal bars to replicate lost family pieces.

I also agree with doing the same as you, and in fact did this for my late Father-in-law, who's medals from WWII were lost during a house move. The difference is, his medals were kept in the family and can be backed up by his official service records of awards. My gripe is about reproducing historic bars that have no connection to you and include genuine medals and not ones that are identifiable as replicas. These types of bar can in the future be passed on and find their way onto the open market for vast sums of money, that some poor individual who doesn't have the full knowledge of it's background will buy.

By all means, make a replica bar, but use medals that are fully identifiable as replicas.

11 hours ago, Mike Huxley said:

I also agree with doing the same as you, and in fact did this for my late Father-in-law, who's medals from WWII were lost during a house move. The difference is, his medals were kept in the family and can be backed up by his official service records of awards. My gripe is about reproducing historic bars that have no connection to you and include genuine medals and not ones that are identifiable as replicas. These types of bar can in the future be passed on and find their way onto the open market for vast sums of money, that some poor individual who doesn't have the full knowledge of it's background will buy.

By all means, make a replica bar, but use medals that are fully identifiable as replicas.

I certainly prefer replicas, but very good ones. Who wants to pay for a real medal when the intent is to complete a uniform display of a famous person? Not me. However, when a copy hasn't been made or isn't readily available, and a real one is affordable, I'm not gonna let the project stall for the sake of that. 

I really don't imagine that the medal or ribbon bars of Ludwit III, Moltke, Kaiser Wilhelm I or II, or Prince Leopold or George the V or Edward VII (all past projects with uniforms) would be purchased by anyone who hadn't some serious knowledge and insistence on provenance. My conscience is clear.

Depending on your experience with handling German medal bars, it's pretty difficult to pass off a completely new creation as period, there are many tell-tale signs. It takes an extremely good tailor with access to original ribbon and thread, not to mention backing plate and reverse cloth, to pull this off. Even the so-called Schraegstich Faker is easily identified by his work.

1 hour ago, VtwinVince said:

Depending on your experience with handling German medal bars, it's pretty difficult to pass off a completely new creation as period, there are many tell-tale signs. It takes an extremely good tailor with access to original ribbon and thread, not to mention backing plate and reverse cloth, to pull this off. Even the so-called Schraegstich Faker is easily identified by his work.

Your right about experienced collectors, and I am amongst them for many years. However I am referring to the not so experienced who may be trapped into thinking a piece is genuine. With the rise in methods of reproducing medals it is easy for the unsuspecting to even get caught out by reproductions, as we have seen even on here over the last few years.

I decry any form of reproduction and feel that all those perpetrating this should be called out.

The interest and hobby is about collecting and researching the real bars and medals that were won by many very brave people throughout history, not the replication of made up ones.

That's me finished with this subject.

All the best, Mike

On 13/10/2023 at 13:20, Mike Huxley said:

Your right about experienced collectors, and I am amongst them for many years. However I am referring to the not so experienced who may be trapped into thinking a piece is genuine. With the rise in methods of reproducing medals it is easy for the unsuspecting to even get caught out by reproductions, as we have seen even on here over the last few years.

I decry any form of reproduction and feel that all those perpetrating this should be called out.

The interest and hobby is about collecting and researching the real bars and medals that were won by many very brave people throughout history, not the replication of made up ones.

That's me finished with this subject.

All the best, Mike

Mike: Well said, from your point of view. I think we are talking about two separate hobbies. There is the hobby of genuine military medal, uniform and relic collecting. That is not mine, or what I am doing. My hobby (and others) is the recreation of the uniforms, including decorations, of historical military figures. It would be impractical, unaffordable and unnecessary to find and acquire genuine originals for this purpose. It is perhaps more akin to reenacting, which also focuses on reproduction to the highest degree possible. 

I will say again that I don't believe there is the slightest chance a novice collector would be interested in, let alone be 'fooled' by any of my own efforts, no matter how well I try to make them. 

I am sorry you feel as you do about my efforts. It truly does cause me distress as I have no intention of causing anyone any mischief. I suppose it counts for something that comparatively few people are trying to make these recreations as they are very time consuming and not without some expense. 

Edited by filfoster

• 5 months later...

Stogieman: Thank you. It's been a long slog. Still working on the Bavarian Field marshal parade baton. Maybe this year sometime. I will post a picture if and when.

Thanks, I think it would. I only display them like this, on a table top. They are made to fit me, in the unlikely event anyone would ever ask me to wear it!