News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Signum laudis with a small box

Carlo

Hello everyone, with this topic I wanted to share this Signum Laudis in a small cardboard box, which as far as I know is from the Great War period. Do any of you have any similar pieces? I know this type of box existed in various colors, but I've never seen the others.

Carlo

Screenshot (129).png

Screenshot (130).png

Screenshot (131).png

• 2 months later...

Hi Carlo,

This is a new one to me..,

do you why it was issued without the ribbon? (assuming it was)

I did have a good look through pictures on Google, only able to find another red one like yours A6A61523-8C8E-4B58-B3AE-6B63A0AE53B4.thumb.png.e730b3437b6254482be68e7fe26c2797.png

Unfortunately the link didn’t work.

tony

On 09/04/2023 at 04:08, Farkas said:

Hi Carlo,

I did have a good look through pictures on Google, only able to find another red one like yours A6A61523-8C8E-4B58-B3AE-6B63A0AE53B4.thumb.png.e730b3437b6254482be68e7fe26c2797.png

Unfortunately the link didn’t work.

tony

Hi, unfortunately I don't know, I did a test and the ribbon inside doesn't even fit. On page 349 of the first volume of the second chapter of Ortner and Ludwigstorff's Austrian Orders and Decorations there are three photos of this type of box, so far it is the only place I have seen them.

IMG_20230410_091956 (1).jpg

IMG_20230410_091956_3.jpg

IMG_20230410_091956_2.jpg

On 22/01/2023 at 16:20, gjw said:

Very nice!  Congratulations 

Greg 

Thanks!!

A nice case, where the Militärverdienstmedaille was stored at retailers, thus, without ribbon.

The buyer, entitled to wear the medal, had then the choice of the proper ribbon.

In fact, the reverse of the case opening this thread, shows the handwritten note (probably by hand of the original seller):

5,40 Ohne

Band

_____

Explaining the price of the medal without ribbon and of the ribbon itself: interesting data anyway.

All the best,

Enzo

On 13/04/2023 at 08:52, Elmar Lang said:

A nice case, where the Militärverdienstmedaille was stored at retailers, thus, without ribbon.

The buyer, entitled to wear the medal, had then the choice of the proper ribbon.

In fact, the reverse of the case opening this thread, shows the handwritten note (probably by hand of the original seller):

5,40 Ohne

Band

_____

Explaining the price of the medal without ribbon and of the ribbon itself: interesting data anyway.

All the best,

Enzo

Wow, that's called knowing what you're talking about! I couldn't figure out what was written on the back of the box, but now that you mention it it reads clearly! Many thanks for this information!!

It is a very plausible explanation, pity that the manufacturer/seller is not known.

Enzo made me slap my forehead!!

On 09/04/2023 at 03:08, Farkas said:

2 minutes ago, Farkas said:

Enzo made me slap my forehead!!

On 13/04/2023 at 08:52, Elmar Lang said:

5,40 Ohne

Band

_____

All the best,

Enzo

Compared with the year 1900 6,10 Kronen were at about 50 € in 2023,

compared with 1914 it would be 40 € in 2023.

Source: https://www.eurologisch.at/docroot/waehrungsrechner/#/

Regards

Christian

Edited by Christian1962

9 hours ago, Christian1962 said:

Regards

Christian

However, in next years (1915-1918), as the Great War progressed, it deteriorated quickly, ended up at the equivalent of today´s 3,6 EUR in 1918. These boxes were used for distribution and stocking in masses in retailers stores, as Enzo wrote above, and it mainly concerns WW1 period when BMVM became quite common decoration even for subaltern officers, so the demand was high. I dare to say this box originates from this period. Before 1914 BMVM wasn´t very common decoration as being usually awarded to Staff Officers (majors and up), much less often to long serving captains and only very occasionally and scarcely to 1st and 2nd lieutenants, usually for some life saving action (like engineers helping by floods and rescue someone from "big water").    

On 16/04/2023 at 15:34, Christian1962 said:

Regards

Christian

Very interesting!! It's a fact that certainly adds value to the history of this piece!

21 hours ago, tifes said:

However, in next years (1915-1918), as the Great War progressed, it deteriorated quickly, ended up at the equivalent of today´s 3,6 EUR in 1918. These boxes were used for distribution and stocking in masses in retailers stores, as Enzo wrote above, and it mainly concerns WW1 period when BMVM became quite common decoration even for subaltern officers, so the demand was high. I dare to say this box originates from this period. Before 1914 BMVM wasn´t very common decoration as being usually awarded to Staff Officers (majors and up), much less often to long serving captains and only very occasionally and scarcely to 1st and 2nd lieutenants, usually for some life saving action (like engineers helping by floods and rescue someone from "big water").    

Very true, practically all the orders and decorations with the advent of the great war have become increasingly common, considering the large number of soldiers and officers to be rewarded.

This has certainly led to a "devaluation" of the decoration itself, see for example the bars for multiple awards...

• 2 weeks later...

After some research I found an excerpt from the catalog of Johann Menner from 1903 where this medal cost from 5 to 7 crowns.
    While in the 1910 Heinrich Ulbricht's Widow catalog the same medal costs 3 crowns, the same price as in the Schneider Brothers catalog of the same year. Instead in the catalog of H.Schall & Son of 1908 it is 3.70 crowns.

Based on these prices (all referring to medals without ribbon) I believe that this box can be dated to around the early 1900s. What do you think?? Could be??

• 2 months later...
    On 29/04/2023 at 14:03, Carlo said:

After some research I found an excerpt from the catalog of Johann Menner from 1903 where this medal cost from 5 to 7 crowns.
    While in the 1910 Heinrich Ulbricht's Widow catalog the same medal costs 3 crowns, the same price as in the Schneider Brothers catalog of the same year. Instead in the catalog of H.Schall & Son of 1908 it is 3.70 crowns.

Based on these prices (all referring to medals without ribbon) I believe that this box can be dated to around the early 1900s. What do you think?? Could be??

I missed your reply til now 🤷‍♂️

The pattern does seem to put yours in that first few years of the 1900’s...

308DAD08-9499-48DC-A485-093112ECA86E.thumb.png.439453ca5b55edbcd8c992561b51c729.png

The dual Monarchy had just introduced notes linked to / backed by gold. The new gold standard was popular and from what i can see AH did not suffer inflation until the war... but maybe the economy could have impacted prices?

tony

PS sadly my kaiser is without his crown...

5498DF31-20E2-495E-8C9C-3A3F2BFC2F9A.thumb.jpeg.60cecd077b67d7f033582179536c4249.jpeg

C8827D25-7024-4614-95BF-32F55BF02AF2.thumb.jpeg.ba55fd3878b1eecfc1e54407e7ef59ea.jpeg

2DB025AB-0E4D-41F7-A2E2-A0F2CB7D5047.thumb.jpeg.706c0c3f953318216731d3d5e9e77b2a.jpeg